Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, College of Engineering
Grad Group Affiliations
- Biomedical Engineering;Applied Mathematics
- MAE 215 Biomedical Fluid Mechanics and Transport Phenomena, 3
- EME 165 Heat Transfer
- ENG 103 Fluid Mechanics
- EME 107 Thermo-Fluids Laboratory
- 1125/1125A Bainer Hall http://mae.ucdavis.edu/~biofluids/
- Deborah Lieu - Postdoctoral fellow; Andrea Gojova - Postdoctoral fellow; Mamta Gautam - Postdoctoral fellow; Arlen Soghomoninas - PhD student; John Tamaresis - PhD student; Hyo Won Choi - PhD student; Tim Cao - PhD student; Yue Shen - MS student; Yang Yang - Visiting PhD student; Taewon Seo - Visiting scholar; Elaine Chang - Undergraduate student; Mai Rabbad - Undergraduate student; Jennifer Louie - Undergraduate student.
Honors and Awards
- - Young Investigator Award, NATO Advanced Study Institute on Vascular Endothelium, Crete, Greece (1998)
- - UC Davis nominee, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Assistant Investigator competition (1999)
- - Pfizer/Parke-Davis Atorvastatin Research Award (2000)
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- American Heart Association
- 1985 BS Nuclear Engineering North Carolina State University
- 1988 MS Nuclear Engineering Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 1994 PhD Chemical Engineering Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Barakat AI, Leaver EV, Pappone PA, Davies PF. 1999. A flow-activated chloride-selective membrane current in vascular endothelial cells. Circulation Research. 85: 820-828.
Barakat AI. 1999. Responsiveness of vascular endothelium to shear stress: potential role of ion channels and cellular cytoskeleton. International Journal of Molecular Medicine 4: 323-332.
Lum RM, Wiley LM, Barakat AI. 2000. Influence of different forms of shear stress on vascular endothelial TGF-b1 mRNA expression. International Journal of Molecular Medicine 5: 635-641.
John K, Barakat AI. 2001. Modulation of ATP/ADP concentration at the endothelial cell surface by shear stress: effect of flow-induced ATP release. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 29: 740-751.
Suvatne J, Barakat AI, O'Donnell ME. 2001. Flow-induced expression of endothelial Na-K-Cl cotransport: dependence on K+ and Cl- channels. American Journal of Physiology: Cell Physiology. 280:C216-C227.
Barakat AI. 2001. A model for shear stress-induced deformation of a flow sensor on the surface of vascular endothelial cells. Journal of Theoretical Biology 210: 221-236.
Fisher AB, Chien S, Barakat AI, Nerem RM. 2001. Endothelial cellular response to altered shear stress. American Journal of Physiology 281: L529-L533.
Gray BL, Lieu DK, Collins SD, Smith RL and AI Barakat. 2002. Microchannel-based platform for the study of endothelial cell shape and function. Biomedical Microdevices. 4:9-16.
Soghomonians A, Barakat AI, Thirkill TL, Douglas GC. 2002. Effect of shear stress on migration and integrin expression in macaque trophoblast cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 1589: 233-246.
Shahcheraghi N, Dwyer HA, Cheer AY, Barakat AI, Rutaganira T. 2002. Unsteady and three-dimensional simulation of blood flow in the human aortic arch. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 124: 378-387.
Mazzag B, Tamaresis JS, Barakat AI. 2003. A model for shear stress sensing and transduction in vascular endothelial cells. Biophysical Journal 84: 4087-4101.
Barakat AI, Lieu DK. 2003. Differential responsiveness of vascular endothelial cells to different types of fluid mechanical shear stress. Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics 38: 323-343.