Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine
HIV and Mucosal Immunity
Adaptive immune responses to HIV in the gastrointestinal and reproductive tracts. HIV pathogenesis. Mechanisms of immune control of HIV infection, and genetic determinants of HIV-specific immune responses.
Grad Group Affiliations
- Integrative Genetics and Genomics
- IMM 297 Mucosal Immunology, Spring
- MMI 480A Medical Immunology (MD students only), Winter
- MMI 200D Mechanisms for Microbial Interactions With Hosts, Winter
- Shacklett Lab/Tupper Hall 3324 http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medmicro/staff/shacklett.html
- April Ferre, PhD (Staff Researcher); Uma Shanmugasundaram, PhD (Postdoctoral Fellow); Brenna Kiniry, BS (Graduate Student, Microbiology); Anupama Ganesh, MS (Graduate Student, Immunology). Former Lab Personnel: Bill Critchfield, PhD (Asst Project Scientist); Donna Lemongello (SRA); Delandy McConnell (SRA); Graduate Students: Tim Hayes, Immunology; Julia Shaw, Microbiology; April Ferre, Microbiology; Aileen Espinoza, Immunology.
- Visiting Scientists
- Mohanakrishnan Janardhanan, YRG CARE laboratory, Chennai, India; Maire Quigley, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden; Alix Scholer, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France.
Honors and Awards
- Selman A. Waksman Award in Microbiology, Cook College, Rutgers University (1985)
- Regents Predoctoral Fellowship, UC Davis (1988-1990)
- Earle C. Anthony Predoctoral Fellowship, UC Davis (1990-1991)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Agence Nationale de Recherches sur le SIDA (ANRS, Paris, France) (1994-1996)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Fondation Pour la Recherche Medicale (SIDACTION, Paris, France) (1996-1997)
- Society for Mucosal Immunology
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association of Immunologists
- International AIDS Society
- International Society for the Advancement of Cytometry
- 1985 BS Microbiology Cook College, Rutgers University
- 1994 PhD Microbiology University of California, Davis
- 1997 Postdoctoral Fellowship Molecular Virology Institut Cochin, Paris France
- 1999 Postdoctoral Fellowship Cellular Immunology Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, Rockefeller University, New York NY
1) Ferre, A.L., Hunt, P., Critchfield, J.W., Young, D.H., Morris, M.M., Garcia, J.C., Pollard, R.B., Yee, H.F., Martin, J.N., Deeks, S.G., and Shacklett, B.L. (2009), Mucosal Immune Responses to HIV-1 in Elite Controllers: A Potential Correlate of Immune Control. Blood 113:3978-89. PMID: 19109229.
2) Ferre, A.L., Lemongello, D., Morris, M.M., Schreiber, M.A., Garcia, J.C., Asmuth, D.M., Pollard, R.B., and Shacklett, B.L. (2010), Immunodominant HIV-specific CD8+ T-cell responses are common to blood and gastrointestinal mucosa, and Gag-specific responses dominate in rectal mucosa of HIV controllers. Journal of Virology 84:10354-65. PMID:20668079.
3) Ferre, A.L., Hunt, P.W., Critchfield, J.W., McConnell, D.H., Garcia, J.C., Pollard, R.B., Deeks, S.G., and Shacklett, B.L. (2010), HIV controllers with HLA-DRB1*13 and DQB1*06 have strong, polyfunctional mucosal CD4+ T-cell responses. Journal of Virology 84:11020-9. PMID: 20719952.
4) Shaw, J.M., Hunt, P.W., Critchfield, J.W., McConnell, D.H., Garcia, J.C., Pollard, R.B., Somsouk, M., Deeks, S.G., and Shacklett, B.L., (2011), Increased frequency of regulatory T-cells accompanies increased T-cell immune activation in rectal mucosae of HIV+ non-controllers. Journal of Virology 85:11422-11434. PMID: 20880771.
5) Hayes, T.L., Critchfield, J.W., Knight, T.H., McLaughlin, B.E., Yotter, T., McConnell, D.H., Garcia, J.C., Pollard, R.B., Asmuth, D.M., and Shacklett, B.L. (2013), Impact of HAART initiation on CD4+ T-cell repopulation in small and large intestinal mucosa. AIDS 27(6):867-877, PMID: 23262500.