Department of Anthropology
Population Genetics and Quantitative Genetics of Human Evolution
The Henn Lab uses population genetic and quantitative genetic theory to model processes in human evolution, paired with extensive genomic and phenotypic data from Sub-Saharan African populations. The lab is committed to understanding genetic diversity in under-represented populations and testing the hypothesis that the determinants of phenotypic traits in these populations may be influenced by alleles that are population-specific or generally rare. The lab is broadly geared toward refining models of human migration and understanding the adaptive significance of healthy phenotypes such as life history traits, pigmentation, height, and resistance to tuberculosis. The lab is also particularly focused on reconstructing the complex demographic history of African populations.
Grad Group Affiliations
- Integrative Genetics and Genomics
Specialties / Focus
- Human Genetics and Genomics
- Quantitative and Population Genetics
Honors and Awards
- AR Martin, M Lin, JM Granka, JW Myrick, X Liu, A Sockell, EG Atkinson, CJ Werely, M Möller, DM Kingsley, EG Hoal, X Liu, MW Feldman, CR Gignoux, CD Bustamante, BM Henn (2017) An Unexpectedly Complex Architecture for Skin Pigmentation in Africans. Cell. 171 (6), 1340-1353. e14
- C Uren, M Kim, AR Martin, D Bobo, CR Gignoux, PDv Helden, M Möller, EG Hoal, BM Henn (2016) Fine-Scale Human Population Structure in Southern Africa Reflects Ecogeographic Boundaries. Genetics 204(1): 303-314.
- BM Henn*, LR Botigué*, S Peishl*, I Dupanloup, M Lipatov, BK Maples, AR Martin, S Musharoff, H Cann, M Snyder, L Excoffier*, JM Kidd*, CD Bustamante* (2016) Feature Article: Distance from Sub-Saharan Africa Predicts Mutational Load in Diverse Human Genomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 113(4): E440-E449.
- GD Poznik, BM Henn, MC Yee, E Sliwerska, GM Euskirchen, AA Lin, M Snyder, L Quintana-Murci, JM Kidd, PA Underhill, CD Bustamante (2013) Sequencing Y Chromosomes Resolves Discrepancy in Time to Common Ancestor of Males versus Females. Science 341(6145): 562-565
- BM Henn, MW Feldman, LL Cavalli-Sforza (2012) The Great Human Expansion. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 109(44): 17758-17764
- BM Henn, CR Gignoux, M Jobin, JM Granka, JM Macpherson, JM Kidd, L Rodríguez-Botigué, S Ramachandran, L Hon, A Brisbin, AA Lin, PA Underhill, D Comas, KK Kidd, P Parham, PJ Norman, CD Bustamante, JL Mountain, MW Feldman. (2011) Feature Article: Hunter-gatherer genomic diversity suggests a southern African origin for modern humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 108(13): 5154-5162.