Department of Chemistry
Professor Liu’s overall research objective focuses on the development of nanotechnology and potential applications to bioanalytical chemistry. One important aspect of the research is the design and engineering of nanostructures which position bioreceptors and chemical reaction sites on surfaces with high precision. The exquisite precision attainable by the nanolithographic methods developed allows complex multivalent interactions typical of bio-recognition to be controlled by varying the separation and local environment of the binding sites. Current projects include: (1) development of state-of-the-art imaging tools for high-resolution imaging of ligands, DNA, proteins and cells; (2) advanced methodologies for production of arrays of nanostructures; (3) single-cell imaging and mechanics; (4) using nanostructures of antibodies produced to investigate hypersensitivity reaction or allergy; (5) using nanostructures of ligands for study of the initial HIV infection of human T-cells; and (6) using nanostructures of ligands for the investigation of cancer cell signaling.
Advanced nanotechnology for biophysical research and development
Grad Group Affiliations
Specialties / Focus
- Dynamics and Biophysical Engineering
- Spectroscopy and Imaging
- CHE 241E High-Resolution Imaging and Nanotechnology
- CHE 115 Analytical Chemistry
- CHE 110C Physical Chemistry
- CHE 2C General Chemistry
- Chemistry Building Laboratories 11, 12, 25, 31 and Annex 0480 http://chemistry.ucdavis.edu/faculty/department_faculty/gang-yu_liu.html
Honors and Awards
- 1986-1987 CGP (Chemistry Graduate Program) Fellowship, Princeton University
- 1990-1991 Harold W. Dodds Honorific Fellowship granted by Princeton University
- 1992-1994 Miller Research Fellowship by the Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science, UC Berkeley
- 1994-1999 Camille and Henry Dreyfus New Faculty Award
- 1996-1998 Arnold and Mable Beckman Young Investigator Award
- 1997-2001 NSF-CAREER Award, granted by National Science Foundation
- 2000 Outstanding Scholarly Achievements Award, Wayne State University
- 2000-2001 Career Development Chair Award, Wayne State University
- 2007 AAAS Fellow
- 2010 ACS Fellow
- Biophys Soc.
- 1992 PhD Chemistry Princeton University
2002 Liu, G.Y. and N.A. Amro. Positioning Protein Molecules on Surfaces: A Nanoengineering Approach to Supramolecular Chemistry. PNAS, 99, 5165-5170.
2006 Yu, J.; Y.H. Tan, X. Li, P.K. Kuo and G.Y. Liu. A Nanoengineering Approach to Regulate the Lateral Heterogeneity of Self-Assembled Monolayers. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128(35), 11574-11581.
2009 Deng, Z., T. Zink, H. Chen, D. Walters, F.-T. Liu and G.-Y. Liu. Impact of Actin Rearrangement and Degranulation on the Membrane Structure of Primary Mast Cells: A Combined Atomic Force and Laser Scanning Confocal Microscopy Investigation. Biophysical Journal, 96, 1629-1639.
2010 Lulevich, V., C. Zimmer, H.S. Hong, L.W. Jin and G.Y. Liu. Single Cell Mechanics Provides a Sensitive and Quantitative Means for Probing Aβ Peptide - Neuronal Cell Interactions. PANS, 107(31), 13872–13877.
2010 Liu, G.Y. Driving the “Structure-Property-Function” Paradigm of Protein and DNA via Physical Chemistry. JPC Lett., 1(22), 3305.
2011 Deng, Z., I.C. Weng, J.R. Li, H.Y. Chen, T.T. Liu and G.Y. Liu. Engineered Nanostructures of Antigen Provide an Effective Means for Regulating Mast Cell Activation. ACS Nano, 5(11), 8672–8683.
2011 Fleming, C.J., N.N. Yin, S.L. Riechers, G. Chu and G.Y. Liu. High-Resolution Imaging of the Intramolecular Structure of Indomethacin-Carrying Dendrimers by Scanning Tunneling Microscopy. ACS Nano, 2011, 5(3), 1685-1692.
2011 Mullen, T.J., M. Zhang, W. Feng, R.J. El-khouri, L.d. Sun, C.H. Yan, T.E. Patten and G.Y. Liu. Fabrication and Characterization of Rare-Earth-Doped Nanostructures on Surfaces. ACS Nano, 5(8), 6539–6545.
2012 Lin, W., J-R. Li and G.Y. Liu. Near-Field Scanning Optical Microscopy Enables Direct Observation of Moiré Effects at Nanometer Scale Levels. ACS Nano, 6(10), 9141-9149.
2014 Zimmer, C.C., Y.X. Liu, J.T. Morgan, G. Yang, K-H. Wang, I.M. Kennedy, A.I. Barakat and G.Y. Liu. New Approach to Investigate the Cytotoxicity of Nanomaterials Using Single Cell Mechanics. J. Phys. Chem. B, 118, 1246-1255.
2014 Du, C., M. Zhang, J-W. Jang, Y. Liu, G.Y. Liu and D. Wang. Observation and Alteration of Surface States of Hematite Photoelectrodes. J. Phys. Chem. C, 118, 17054-17059.