Department of Plant Sciences, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
My research is focused on wheat geneticas and wheat improvement
Wheat development, disease resistance, quality and improvement
Grad Group Affiliations
- Agronomy and Horticulture
- Integrative Genetics and Genomics
- Plant Biology
Specialties / Focus
- Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Genomics
- Plant Breeding
- Wheat molecular genetics laboratory http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/dubcovsky/
- Large group of breeders, technicians, postdocs and PhD students (~25 people)
- Field Head Quarters
- Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Fellow of the Crop Science Society of America
- 0 Ph.D. - University of Buenos Aires
240 publications (>25,000 cross-references in Google Scholar)
Complete list of publications with links is available at:
Publications for last 10 years
*241. Cobo, N., L. Pflüger, X. Chen, J. Dubcovsky. 2018. Mapping QTL for resistance to new virulent races of wheat stripe rust from two Argentinean wheat varieties. Crop Science. In press
240. Jordan, K.W., S. Wang, F. He, S. Chao, Y. Lun, E. Paux, P. Sourdille, J. Sherman, A. Akhunova, N.K. Blake, M.O. Pumphrey, K. Glover, J. Dubcovsky, L. Talbert, E. Akhunov. 2018. The genetic architecture of genome-wide recombination rate variation in allopolyploid wheat revealed by nested association mapping. The Plant Journal. doi: 10.1111/tpj.14009
*239. Mo, Y., L.S. Vanzetti, I. Hale3, E.J. Spagnolo, F. Guidobaldi, J. Al-Oboudi, N. Odle, S. Pearce, M. Helguera, J. Dubcovsky. 2018. Identification and characterization of Rht25, a locus on chromosome arm 6AS affecting wheat plant height, heading time, and spike development. Theor Appl Genet In press.
*238. Zhang, J., S.A. Gizaw, E. Bossolini, J. Hegarty, T. Howell, A.H. Carter, E. Akhunov, J. Dubcovsky. 2018. Identification and validation of QTL for grain yield and plant water status under contrasting water treatments in fall-sown spring wheats. Theor Appl Genet. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-018-3111-9.
*237. Chen, S., W. Zhang, S. Bolus, M.N. Rouse, J. Dubcovsky. 2018. Identification and characterization of wheat stem rust resistance gene Sr21 effective against the Ug99 race group. PLOS Genetics 14: e1007287.
*236. Hegarty, J.M., I.A. del Blanco, L. Gallagher, J. Dubcovsky. 2018. Registration of ‘UC Tahoe’, a California adapted two-rowed spring barley for craft-scale malting. Journal of Plant Registration. 12: 10.3198/jpr2017.09.0064crc.
*235. Kippes, N., M. Guedira, L. Lin, G.L. Brown-Guedira and J. Dubcovsky. 2018. Single nucleotide polymorphisms in a regulatory site of VRN-A1 first intron are associated with differences in vernalization requirement in winter wheat. Molecular Genetics and Genomics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00438-018-1455-0
*234. Chen, S., Y. Guo, J. Briggs, F. Dubach, S. Chao, W. Zhang, M.N. Rouse, J. Dubcovsky. 2018. Mapping and characterization of wheat stem rust resistance genes SrTm5 and Sr60 from Triticum monococcum Theor. Appl. Genet. 131: 625-635.
233. Mo, J., T. Howell, H. Vasquez-Gross, L.A. de Haro, J. Dubcovsky, S. Pearce. 2018. Mapping causal mutations by exome sequencing in a wheat TILLING population: a tall mutant case study. Mol. Genet. Genom. 293: 463-477.
232. Qureshi, N., H. Bariana, P. Zhang, R. McIntosh, D. Wong, M. Shankar, M.J. Hayden, J. Dubcovsky, and U. Bansal. 2018. Genetic relationship of stripe rust resistance genes Yr34 and Yr48 in wheat and identification of linked KASP markers. Plant Disease.102: 413-420.
231. Salcedo, A., W. Rutter, S. Wang, A. Akhunova, S. Bolus, S. Chao, N. Anderson, M. Fernandez De Soto, M. Rouse, L. Szabo, R.L. Bowden, J. Dubcovsky, E. Akhunov. 2017. Variation in the AvrSr35 gene determines Sr35 resistance against wheat stem rust race Ug99. Science. 358: 1604–1606.
*230. Zhang, W., S. Chen, Z. Abate, J. Nirmala, M. Rouse, and J. Dubcovsky. 2017. Identification and characterization of Sr13, a tetraploid wheat gene that confers resistance to the Ug99 stem rust race group. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 114: E9483–E9492.
229. Lan, C., I. Lowe Hale, S. Herrera, B. R. Basnet, M. Randhawa, J.H. Espino, J. Dubcovsky, R.P. Singh. 2017. Characterization and mapping of leaf rust and stripe rust resistance loci in hexaploid wheat lines UC1110 and PI610750 under Mexican environments. Frontiers in Plant Sciences 8:1450
*228. Uauy, C., B.B.H. Wulff, and J. Dubcovsky. 2017. Combining traditional mutagenesis with new high-throughput sequencing and genome editing to reveal hidden variation in polyploid wheat. Annu. Rev. Genet. 51: 435–454.
*227. Dong, Z, J. Zhang, J. M. Hegarty, W. Zhang, S. Chao, X. Chen, Y. Zhou, and J. Dubcovsky. 2017. Validation and characterization of a QTL for adult plant resistance to stripe rust on wheat chromosome arm 6BS (Yr78). Theor. Appl. Genet. 130:2127–2137.
*226. Dibernardi, M. H. Li, G. Chuck, J. Farris, and J. Dubcovsky. 2017. miR172 plays a critical role in wheat grain threshability. Development. 144: 1966-1975.
*225. Pearce, S., H. Lin, C. Li and J. Dubcovsky. 2017. Night-break experiments shed light on the PPD1-mediated photoperiodic response in wheat. Plant Physiology. 174: 1139-1150.
*224. Krasileva, K.V., H. Vasquez-Gross, T. Howell1, P. Bailey, F. Paraiso, L. Clissold, J. Simmonds, R. H. Ramirez-Gonzalez, X. Wang, P. Borrill, C. Fosker, S. Ayling, A. Phillips, C. Uauy, J. Dubcovsky. 2017. Uncovering hidden variation in polyploid wheat. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 114: E913–E921.
* 223. Schönhofen, A., X. Zhang, and J. Dubcovsky. 2017. Combined mutations in five wheat Starch Branching Enzyme II genes increase resistant starch but affect grain yield and bread-making quality. Journal of Cereal Science. 75: 165-174.
* 222. Wang, X., B. Yang, K. Li, Z. Kang, D. Cantu, J. Dubcovsky. 2016. Conserved Puccinia striiformis effector interacts with wheat NPR1 and reduces induction of Pathogenesis-Related genes in response to pathogens. Mol. Plant Microbe Int. 29:977-989.
221. Qin, X., K. Fischer, S. Yu, J. Dubcovsky, L. Tian. 2016. Distinct expression and function of carotenoid metabolic genes and homoeologs in developing wheat grains. BMC Plant Biology 16:155. Open access.
*220. Pearce, S., N. Kippes, A. Chen, J.M. Debernardi1 and J. Dubcovsky. 2016.Replicated RNA-seq studies using wheat PHYTOCHROME B and PHYTOCHROME C mutants reveal shared and specific functions in the regulation of flowering and shade-avoidance pathways. BMC Plant Biology 16:141. Open access. PMC4915087.
*219. Kippes, N., A. Chen, X. Zhang, A. J. Lukaszewski, J. Dubcovsky. 2016. Development and characterization of a spring hexaploid wheat line with no functional VRN2 genes.Theor Appl Genet. 129:1417–1428. Open Access, PMC4909811.
218. Checovich, M. L., A. Galatro, J. Moriconi, M. Simontacchi, J. Dubcovsky, G. E. Santa-María. 2016. The stay-green phenotype of TaNAM-RNAi wheat plants is associated with maintenance of chloroplast structure and high enzymatic antioxidant activity. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 104: 257-265.
*217. Alvarez, M. A., G. Tranquilli, S. Lewis, N. Kippes, J. Dubcovsky. 2016. Genetic and physical mapping of the earliness per se locus Eps-Am1 in Triticum monococcum identifies EARLY FLOWERING 3 (ELF3) as a candidate gene. Functional and Integrative Genomics 16:365–382. PMC4947483.
216. Simmonds, J., P. Scott, J. Brinton, T.C. Mestre, M. Bush, A. Del Blanco, J. Dubcovsky, C. Uauy. 2016 A splice acceptor site mutation in TaGW2-A1 increases thousand grain weight in tetraploid and hexaploid wheat through wider and longer grains Theor Appl Genet. 129:1099–1112. Open access. PMC4869752.
*215. Schönhofen, A., B. Hazard, X. Zhang, and J. Dubcovsky. 2016. Registration of common wheat germplasm with mutations in SBEII genes conferring increased grain amylose and resistant starch content. J. Crop Reg. 10:200-205 Open access. PMC5091815.
*214. Li, K., J. Hegarty, C. Zhang, A. Wan, J. Wu, G.Brown-Guedira, X. Chen, M. Muñoz-Amatriaín, D. Fu , and J. Dubcovsky. 2016. Fine mapping of barley locus Rps6 conferring resistance to wheat stripe rust. Theor Appl Genet. 129:845-859. Open Access. PMC4799263
213. Cruz, C.D., G.L. Peterson, W.W. Bockus, P. Kankanala, J. Dubcovsky, K.W. Jordan, E. Akhunov, F. Chumley, D.F. Baldelomar, and B. Valent. 2016. The 2NS translocation from Aegilops ventricosa confers resistance to the Triticum pathotype of Magnaporthe oryzae. Crop Science 56:990–1000. Open Access. PMC5087972
*212. Pearce, S., H. Vazquez-Gross, S.Y. Herin, D. Hane, Y. Wang, Y.Q. Gu, J. Dubcovsky. 2015. WheatExp: an RNA-seq expression database for polyploid wheat. BMC Plant Biology. 15:299. PMC4690421 OA
*211. Kippes N., J.M. Debernardi, H. Vasquez-Gross, B.A. Akpinar, B.H., K. Kato, S. Chao, E. Akhunov and J. Dubcovsky. 2015. Identification of the VERNALIZATION 4 gene reveals the origin of spring growth habit in ancient wheats from South Asia. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 112: E5401–E5410. PMC4593092
*210. Li, C., H. Lin, J. Dubcovsky. 2015. Factorial combinations of protein interactions generate a multiplicity of florigen activation complexes in wheat and barley. The Plant Journal. 84:70-82. PMC5104200.
*209 Hazard B., X. Zhang, M. Naemeh, M.K.Hamilton, B. Rust, H.E. Raybould, J.W. Newman, R. Marti, and J. Dubcovsky. 2015. Mutations in durum wheat SBEII genes affect grain yield components, quality and fermentation responses in rats. Crop Sci. 55:2813–2825. PMC4849485
*208. Guo, J.-Y., K. Li, K. Wu, X. Wang, H. Lin, D. Cantu, C. Uauy, A. Dobon-Alonso, T. Midorikawa, K. Inoue, J. Sánchez, D. Fu, A. Blechl, E. Wallington, T. Fahima, M. Meeta, L. Epstein, and J. Dubcovsky. 2015. Wheat stripe rust resistance protein WKS1 reduces the ability of the thylakoid-associated ascorbate peroxidase to detoxify reactive oxygen species. The Plant Cell 27: 1755–1770. PMC4498197. Cover Page
207. Pearce, S.P., K. A.K. Huttly, I.M. Prosser, Y.-D. Li, S.P. Vaughan, B. Gallova, A. Patil, J.A. Coghill, J. Dubcovsky, P. Hedden and A.L. Phillips. 2015 Heterologous expression and transcript analysis of gibberellin biosynthetic genes of grasses reveals novel functionality in the GA3ox family. BMC Plant Biology 15:130.
206. Jordan, K.W., S. Wang, Y. Lun, L. Gardiner, R. MacLachlan, P. Hucl, K. Wiebe, D. Wong, K.L. Forrest, A.G. Sharpe, C.H.D. Sidebottom, N. Hall, C. Toomajian, T. Close, J. Dubcovsky, A. Akhunova, L. Talbert, U.K. Bansal, H.S. Bariana, M.J. Hayden, C. Pozniak, J.A. Jeddeloh, A. Hall, E. Akhunov, IWGS Consortium. 2015. A haplotype map of allohexaploid wheat reveals distinct patterns of selection on homoeologous genomes Genome Biology 16:48
*205. Bonafede, M.D., G. Tranquilli, L.A. Pflüger, R.J. Peña, and J. Dubcovsky. 2015. Effect of allelic variation at the Glu-3/Gli-1 loci on breadmaking quality parameters in hexaploid wheat (T. aestivum L.). Journal of Cereal Science 62:143-150. PMC5096839.
204. Briggs J., S. Chen, W. Zhang, S. Nelson, J. Dubcovsky, M.N. Rouse. 2015. Mapping of SrTm4, a recessive stem rust resistance gene from diploid wheat effective to Ug99. Phytopathology 105: 1347-1354. PMC5102501.
*203. Maccaferri, M., J. Zhang, P. Bulli, Z. Abate, S. Chao, D. Cantu, E. Bossolini, X. Chen, M. Pumphrey, and J. Dubcovsky. 2015. A genome-wide association study of resistance to stripe rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici) in a worldwide collection of hexaploid spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). G3 5:449-465. PMC4349098
*202. Goodwin, S.B., J.R. Cavaletto, I.L. Hale, I. Thompson, S.S. Xu, T.B. Adhikari, J. Dubcovsky. 2015. A new map location of gene Stb3 for resistance to septoria tritici blotch in wheat. Crop Science 55:1-9. PMC5089079.
*201. Chen S., M.N. Rouse, W. Zhang, Y. Jin, E. Akhunov, Y. Wei, J. Dubcovsky. 2015. Fine mapping and characterization of Sr21, a temperature-sensitive diploid wheat resistance gene effective against the Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici Ug99 race group. Theor Appl Genet. 128:645-656. PMC5086425.
200. Yaniv, E., D. Raats, Y. Ronin, A.B. Korol, A. Grama, H. Bariana, J. Dubcovsky, A.H. Schulman, T. Fahima. Evaluation of marker-assisted selection for the stripe rust resistance gene Yr15, introgressed from wild emmer wheat. Molecular Breeding 35:43, PMC5091809.
199. Maccaferri, M., A. Ricci, S. Salvi, S. Milner, E. Noli; P. Martelli, R. Casadio, A. Eduard, S. Scalabrin, V. Vendramin, K. Ammar, A. Blanco, F. Desiderio, A. Distelfeld, J. Dubcovsky, T. Fahima, J. Faris, A. Korol, A. Massi, A. Mastrangelo, M. Morgante, C. Pozniak, S. Xu, R. Tuberosa. 2015. A high-density, SNP-based consensus map of tetraploid wheat as a bridge to integrate durum and bread wheat genomics and breeding. Plant Biotechnology Journal 13: 648-663. PMC4287192
*198. Pearce, S., F. Tabbita, D. Cantu, V. Buffalo, R. Avni, H. Vazquez-Gross, R. Zhao, C.J. Conley, A. Distelfeld, and J. Dubcovsky. 2014. Regulation of Zn and Fe transporters by the GPC1 gene during early wheat monocarpic senescence. BMC Plant Biol. 14:368. PMC4302714
197. Maccaferri M., M. A. Cane', M. C. Sanguineti, S. Salvi, M. C. Colalongo, A. Massi, F. Clarke, R. Knox, C. J. Pozniak, J. M. Clarke, T. Fahima, J. Dubcovsky, S. Xu, K. Ammar, I. Karsai, G Vida, R. Tuberosa. 2014. A consensus framework map of durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.) suitable for linkage disequilibrium analysis and genome-wide association mapping. BMC Genomics 15:873
*196. Howell, T., I. Hale, D. L. Jankuloski, M. Bonafede, M. Gilbert, J. Dubcovsky. 2014 Mapping a region within the 1RS.1BL translocation in common wheat affecting grain yield and canopy water status. Theor Appl Genet 127: 2695-2709. PMC4236633
195. Wang, X., X. Wang, L. Deng, H. Chang, J. Dubcovsky, H. Feng, Q. Han, L. Huang, Z. Kang. 2014. Wheat TaNPSN SNARE homologues are involved in vesicle-mediated resistance to stripe rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici). J. Exp. Bot. 65: 4807-4820. PMC4144766.
*194. Nitcher, R., S. Pearce, G. Tranquilli, X. Zhang, J. Dubcovsky. 2014. Effect of the Hope FT-B1 allele on wheat heading time and yield components. J. Heredity 105:666-675. PMC5086426
*193. Hazard B., X. Zhang, M. Naemeh, J. Dubcovsky. 2014. Registration of Durum Wheat germplasm lines with combined mutations in SBEIIa and SBEIIb genes conferring increased amylose and resistant starch. J. Crop Reg. 8:334–338. PMC4840879.
*192. Chen, A., C. Li, W. Hu, M. Lau, H. Lin, N.C. Rockwell, S.S. Martin, J.A. Jernstedt, J.C. Lagarias, and J. Dubcovsky. 2014. PHYTOCHROME C plays a major role in the acceleration of wheat flowering under long days. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 111:10037-10044. PMC4104863.
*191. Henry I.M., U. Nagalakshmi, M.C. Lieberman, K.J. Ngo, K.V. Krasileva, H. Vasquez-Gross, A. Akunova, E. Akhunov, J. Dubcovsky, T. H. Tai, L. Comai. 2014. Efficient genome-wide detection and cataloging of EMS-induced mutations using next-generation sequencing and exome capture. Plant Cell 26:1382–1397. PMC4036560.
*190. Lv B., R. Nitcher, X. Han, S. Wang, F. Ni, K. Li, S. Pearce, J. Wu, J. Dubcovsky, D. Fu. 2014. Characterization of FLOWERING LOCUS T1 (FT1) gene in Brachypodium and wheat. PLoS One 9:e94171. PMC3981775.
*189. Zhu J., S. Pearce, A. Burke, D.R. See, D.Z. Skinner, J. Dubcovsky, K. Garland-Campbell. 2014. Copy number variation at VRN-A1 and central FR-A2 loci are associated with frost tolerance in hexaploid wheat. Theor Appl Genet 127:1183–1197. PMC4876961.
*188. del Blanco I.A., J. Hegarty, L. Gallagher, B. W. Falk, G. Brown-Guedira, E. Pellerin, J. Dubcovsky. 2014. Mapping of QTL for tolerance to Cereal Yellow Dwarf Virus in two-rowed spring barley. Crop Sci 54:1468-14758. PMC4874343.
*187. Avni R., R. Zhao, S. Pearce, Y. Jun, C. Uauy, F. Tabbita, T. Fahima, A. Slade, J. Dubcovsky, A. Distelfeld. 2014. Functional characterization of GPC-1 genes in hexaploid wheat. Planta 239:313–324. PMC4869889.
*186. Kippes N., J. Zhu, A. Chen. L.S. Vanzetti, A. Lukaszewski, H. Nishida, K. Kato, J. Dvorak, J. Dubcovsky (2014) Fine mapping and epistatic interactions of the vernalization gene VRN-D4 in hexaploid wheat. Mol. Genet. Genomics 289: 47–62. PMC3916708
*185. Wang S., Wong D., Forrest K., Allen A., Chao S., Huang B., Maccaferri M., Salvi S., Milner S., Cattivelli L., Mastrangelo A., Whan A., Stephen S., Barker G., Wieseke R., Plieske J., IWGSC., Lillemo M., Mather D., Appels R., Dolferus R., Brown-Guedira G., Korol A., Akhunova A., Feuillet C., Salse J., Morgante M., Pozniak C., Luo M.-C., Dvorak J., Morell M., Dubcovsky J., Ganal M., Tuberosa R., Lawley C., Mikoulitch I., Cavanagh C., Edwards K., Hayden M., Akhunov E. (2014) Characterization of polyploid wheat genomic diversity using a high-density 90,000 SNP array. Plant Biotechnol. J. 12:787-796. PMC4265271
*184. Pearce, S., L.S. Vanzetti, J. Dubcovsky. 2013. Exogenous gibberellins induce wheat spike development under short days only in the presence of VERNALIZATION 1. Plant Phys. 163: 1433–1445. PMC3813662
*183. Zhao, Y., M. Gowda, T. Würschum, C. Friedrich, H. Longin, V. Korzun, S. Kollers, R. Schachschneider, J. Zeng, R. Fernando, J. Dubcovsky, and J. C. Reif1. 2013. Dissecting the genetic architecture of frost tolerance in Central European winter wheat. J. Exp. Bot. 64: 4453–4460. PMC3808325
*182 Saintenac, C., W. Zhang, A. Salcedo, M. Rouse, H. Trick, E. Akhunov, and J. Dubcovsky. 2013. Identification of wheat gene Sr35 that confers resistance to Ug99 stem rust race group. Science 341:783-786. PMC4748951
*181 Krasileva, K.V., V. Buffalo, P. Bailey, S. Pearce, S. Ayling, F. Tabbita, M. Soria, S. Wang, IWGS consortium , E. Akhunov, C. Uauy, and J. Dubcovsky*. 2013. Separating homeologs by phasing in the tetraploid wheat transcriptome. Genome Biology 14:R66 doi:10.1186/gb-2013-14-6-r66. PMC4053977
*180 Yang, B., R. Ruan, D. Cantu, X. Wang, W. Ji, P.C. Ronald, J. Dubcovsky. 2013. A comparative approach expands the protein-protein interaction node of the immune receptor XA21 in wheat and rice. Genome 56:315-326. PMC4873545
*179. Pearce, S., J. Zhu, Á. Boldizsár, A. Vágújfalvi, A. Burke, K. Garland-Campbell, G. Galiba, and J. Dubcovsky.2013. Large deletions in the CBF gene cluster at the Fr-B2 locus are associated with reduced frost tolerance in wheat. Theor. Appl. Genet. 126:2683–2697. PMC4779059.
*178. Cavanagha C., S. Chao, S. Wang, B.E. Huangd, S. Stephena, S. Kianic, K. Forreste, C. Saintenac, G. Brown-Guedira, A. Akhunova, D. See, G. Bai, M. Pumphrey, L. Tomar, D. Wong, S. Kong, M. Reynolds, M. Lopez da Silva, H. Bockelman, L.E. Talbert, J.A. Anderson, S. Dreisigacker, P.S. Baenziger, A.H. Carter, V. Korzun, P.L. Morrell, J. Dubcovsky, M. Morell, M. Sorrells, M. Hayden, and E. Akhunov. 2013. Genome-wide comparative diversity uncovers multiple targets of selection for improvement in hexaploid wheat landraces and cultivars.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 110:8057–8062. PMC3657823.
*177. Williamson, V.M., T. Varghese, F. Howard and J. Dubcovsky. 2013. An Aegilops ventricosa translocation confers resistance against root-knot nematodes to common wheat. Crop Sci. 53:1412–1418. PMC4864860.
*176. Cantu, D., V. Segovia D. MacLean, R. Bayles, X. Chen, S. Kamoun, J. Dubcovsky, D. G.O. Saunders, C. Uauy C. 2013. Genome analyses of the wheat yellow (stripe) rust pathogen Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici reveal polymorphic and haustorial expressed secreted proteins as candidate effectors. BMC Genomics. 14:270. PMC3640902.
*175. Nitcher R., A. Distelfeld, C.T. Tan, L. Yan, J. Dubcovsky. 2013. Increased copy number at the HvFT1 locus is associated with accelerated flowering time in barley. Molecular Genetics and Genomics. 288:261-275. PMC3664738.
*174. Cantu, D., B. Yang, R. Ruan, K. Li, V. Menzo, D. Fu, M. Chern, P.C. Ronald, and J. Dubcovsky. 2013. Comparative analysis of protein-protein interactions in the defense response of rice and wheat. BMC Genomics. 14:166. PMC3602203.
*173. Akhunov, E., S. Chao, C. Saintenac, S. Kiani, D. See, G. Brown-Guedira, M. Sorrells, A. Akhunova, J. Dubcovsky, C. Cavanagh, and M. Hayden. 2012. High-throughput approaches to genome-wide analysis of genetic variation in polyploid wheat. Can. J. Plant Sci. 92:596-596.
*172. Chen, A., and J. Dubcovsky. 2012 Wheat TILLING mutants show that the vernalization gene VRN1 down-regulates the flowering repressor VRN2 in leaves but is not essential for flowering. PLoS Genetics. 8:e1003134. PMC3521655.
*171. Qin, X., W. Zhang, J. Dubcovsky, and L. Tian. 2012. Cloning and comparative analysis of carotenoid b-hydroxylase genes provides new insights into carotenoid metabolism in tetraploid (Triticum turgidum ssp. durum) and hexaploid (Triticum aestivum L.) wheat grains. Plant Molecular Biology. 80: 631-646. PMC4783145.
*170. Hale I., X. Zhang, D. Fu, and J. Dubcovsky. 2012. Registration of wheat lines carrying the partial stripe rust resistance gene Yr36 without the Gpc-B1 high grain protein content allele. Journal of Plant Registrations 7:108-112. PMC4780365.
*169. Hazard B., X. Zhang, P. Colasuonno, C. Uauy, D.M. Beckles, and J. Dubcovsky. 2012. Induced mutations in the Starch Branching Enzyme II (SBEII) genes increase amylose and resistant starch content in pasta wheat Crop Sci. 52:1754-1766. PMC4768815.
*168. Distelfeld, A, S. P. Pearce, R. Avni, B. Scherer, C. Uauy, F. Piston, A. Slade, R. Zhao, J. Dubcovsky. Divergent functions of orthologous NAC transcription factors in wheat and rice. 2012. Plant Molecular Biology. 78:515–524. PMC4773031.
*167. Cantu, D., M. Govindarajulu, A. Kozik, M. Wang, X. Chen, K. Kojima, J. Jurka, R.W. Michelmore, and J. Dubcovsky. 2011. Next generation sequencing provides rapid access to the genome of Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici, the causal agent of wheat stripe rust. PLoS ONE 6(8): e24230. PMC3164196.
*166. Cantu D., S.P. Pearce, A. Distelfeld1, M. Wagner Christiansen, C. Uauy, E. Akhunov, T. Fahima, and J. Dubcovsky. 2011.Effect of the down-regulation of the high Grain Protein Content (GPC) genes on the wheat transcriptome during monocarpic senescence. BMC Genomics 12:492. PMC3209470.
*165. Li, C., A. Distelfeld, A. Comis, and J. Dubcovsky. 2011. Wheat flowering repressor VRN2 and promoter CO2 compete for interactions with NUCLEAR FACTOR-Y complexes. Plant Journal 67:763-773. PMC4765905
*164. Tsai, H., T. Howell1, R. Nitcher, V. Missirian, B. Watson, K. Ngo, M. Lieberman, J. Fass, C. Uauy, R.K. Tran, A.A. Khan, V. Filkov, T.H. Tai, J. Dubcovsky, and L. Comai. 2011. Discovery of rare mutations in populations: TILLING by sequencing. Plant Physiology. 156: 1257-1268. PMC3135940.
*163. Lowe, I., D. L. Jankuloski, S. Chao, X. Chen, D. See and J. Dubcovsky. 2011. Mapping and validation of QTL which confer partial resistance to broadly virulent post-2000 North American races of stripe rust in hexaploid wheat. Theor Appl Genet. 123:143–157. PMC4761445
*162. Simons, C., Z. Abate, S. Chao, W. Zhang, M. Rouse, Y. Jin, E.Elias, and J. Dubcovsky. 2011. Genetic mapping of stem rust resistance gene Sr13 in tetraploid wheat (Triticum turgidum ssp. durum L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 122:649–658. PMC4755715.
*162b. Dubcovsky, J., F. Ordon, D. Perovic, B. Admassu, W. Friedt, W. Zhang, S. Chao. 2011. Conflicting mapping results for stem rust resistance gene Sr13 Theoretical and Applied Genetics 122:659 PMC3026676
*161. Lowe, I., D. Cantu, and J. Dubcovsky. 2011. Durable resistance to the wheat rusts: integrating systems biology and traditional phenotype-based research methods to guide the deployment of resistance genes. Euphytica 179:69-79. PMC4756431
*160. Chao, S., J. Dubcovsky, J. Dvorak, M.C. Luo, P.S. Baenziger, R. Matnyazov, D.R. Clark, L.E. Talbert, J.A. Anderson, S. Dreisigacker, K. Glover, J. Chen, K. Campbell, P.L. Bruckner, J.C. Rudd, S. Haley, B.F. Carver, S. Perry, M.E. Sorrells, and E. Akhunov. 2010. Population- and genome-specific patterns of linkage disequilibrium and SNP variation in spring and winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). BMC Genomics 11:727. PMC3020227.
*159. Akhunov E.D., A.R. Akhunova, O.D. Anderson, J.A. Anderson, N. Blake, M.T. Clegg, D. Coleman-Derr, E.E. Conley, C.C. Crossman, K.R. Deal, J. Dubcovsky, B.S. Gill, Y.Q. Gu, J. Hadam, H. Heo, N. Huo, G.R. Lazo, M.C. Luo, Y.Q. Ma, D.E. Matthews, P.E. McGuire, P.L. Morrell, C.O. Qualset, J. Renfro, D. Tabanao, L.E. Talbert, C. Tian, D.M. Toleno, M. Warburton, F.M. You, W. Zhang, and J. Dvorak. 2010 Nucleotide diversity maps reveal variation in diversity among wheat genomes and chromosomes. BMC Genomics 11:702. PMC3022916
*158. Cantu, D., L.S. Vanzetti, A. Sumner, M. Dubcovsky, M. Matvienko, A. Distelfeld, R. Michelmore, J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Small RNAs, DNA methylation and transposable elements in wheat. BMC Genomics 11: 408. PMC2996936.
*157. Dhillon, T., S.P. Pearce, E.J. Stockinger, A. Distelfeld, C. Li, A.K. Knox, I. Vashegyi, A. Vágújfalvi, G. Galiba, and J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Freezing tolerance and flowering regulation in cereals: the VRN-1 connection. Plant Physiology 153: 1846-1858. PMC2923912.
*156. Zhang, W., E. Olson, C. Saintenac, M. Rouse, Z. Abate, Y. Jin, E.D. Akhunov, M. Pumphrey, and J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Genetic maps of stem rust resistance gene Sr35 in diploid and hexaploid wheat. Crop Science. 50: 2464-2474.
*155. Brevis, J.C., C. F. Morris, F. Manthey, and J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Effect of the grain protein content locus Gpc-B1 on bread and pasta quality. Journal of Cereal Science 51: 357-365.
154. Yu, L.-X., S. Liu, J.A. Anderson, R.P. Singh, Y. Jin, J. Dubcovsky, G. Brown-Guidera, S. Bhavani, A. Morgounov, Z. He, J. Huerta-Espino, and M.E. Sorrells. 2010. Haplotype diversity of stem rust resistance loci in uncharacterized wheat lines. Molecular Breeding 26:667-680.
* 153.Olson, E.L., G. Brown-Guedira, D.S. Marshall, Y. Jin, M. Mergoum, I. Lowe, and J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Genotyping of U.S. wheat germplasm for presence of stem rust resistance genes Sr24, Sr36 and Sr1RSAmigo. Crop Science 50:668–675.
* 152. Brevis, J.C., and J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Effects of the chromosome region including the grain protein content locus Gpc-B1 on wheat grain and protein yield. Crop Science 50:59-66.
*151. Distelfeld A., and J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Characterization of the maintained vegetative phase (mvp) deletions from einkorn wheat and their effect on VRN2 and FT transcript levels. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 283: 223-232. PMC2820692
* 150. Piston-Piston F., C. Uauy, L. Fu, J. Langston, J. Labavitch, and J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Down-regulation of four putative arabinoxylan feruloyl transferase genes from family PF02458 reduces ester-linked ferulic acid content in rice cell walls. Planta 231: 677-691. PMC2806532.
* 149. Faricelli M.E., M. Valarik, and J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Control of flowering time and spike development in cereals: the earliness per se Eps-Am1 region in wheat, rice, and Brachypodium. Functional and Integrative Genomics. 10:293–306. PMC2862174.
* 148 Yoshida T., H. Nishida, J. Zhu, R. Nitcher, A. Distelfeld, Y. Akashi, K. Kato, J. Dubcovsky. 2010. Vrn-D4 is a vernalization gene located on the centromeric region of chromosome 5D in hexaploid wheat. Theor Appl Genet. 120: 543-552.
147. Luo MC, Deal KR, Akhunov ED, Akhunova AR, Anderson OD, Anderson JA, Blake N, Clegg MT, Coleman-Derr D, Conley EE, Crossman CC, Dubcovsky J, Gill BS, Gu YQ, Hadam J, Heo H, Huo N, Lazo G, Lundy KE, Ma Y, Matthews DE, McGuire PE, Morrell PL, Nicolet CM, Qualset CO, Renfro J, Tabanao D, Talbert LE, Tian C, Toleno DM, Warburton ML, You FM, Zhang W, Dvorak J. 2009. Grass genome comparisons reveal the dominant mechanism of chromosome number reduction and accelerated genome evolution in the large Triticeae genomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 37:15780-15785. PMC2747195.
146. Waters B.M., C. Uauy, J. Dubcovsky, and M.A. Grusak. 2009. Wheat (Triticum aestivum) NAM proteins regulate the translocation of iron, zinc, and nitrogen compounds from vegetative tissues to grain. Journal of Experimental Botany. 60: 4263-4274.
* 145. Uauy C., F. Paraiso, P. Colasuonno, R. K. Tran, H. Tsai, S. Berardi, L. Comai, J. Dubcovsky. 2009. A modified TILLING approach to detect induced mutations in tetraploid and hexaploid wheat BMC Plant Biology. 9:115-128. PMC2748083.
144. Bainotti, C., J. Fraschina, J. H. Salines, J. E. Nisi, J. Dubcovsky, S. M. Lewis, L. Bullrich, L. Vanzetti, M. Cuniberti, P. Campos, M. B. Formica, B. Masiero, E. Alberione and M. Helguera. 2009. Registration of 'BIOINTA 2004' wheat. Journal of Plant Registration. 3:165–169.
143. Garbus, I., A.D. Carrera, J. Dubcovsky, and V. Echenique. 2009. Physical mapping of durum wheat lipoxygenase genes. Journal of Cereal Science 50:67-73.
* 142. Fu, D., C. Uauy, A. Distelfeld, A. Blechl, L. Epstein, X. Chen, H. Sela, T. Fahima, and J. Dubcovsky. 2009. A kinase-START gene confers temperature-dependent resistance to wheat stripe rust. Science 323:1357-1360. PMC4737487
*141. Distelfeld A., C. Li, and J. Dubcovsky. 2009. Regulation of flowering in temperate cereals. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12:178-184.
.*140. Pidal B., L. Yan, D. Fu, F. Zhang, G. Tranquilli, J. Dubcovsky. 2009. The CArG-box in the promoter region of wheat vernalization gene VRN1 is not necessary to mediate the vernalization response, J. Hered. 100: 355-364.
*139. Distelfeld A., G. Tranquilli, C. Li, L. Yan, J. Dubcovsky. 2009. Genetic and molecular characterization of the VRN2 loci in tetraploid wheat. Plant Physiology 149:245-257. PMC2613703.
*138. Galiba G., A. Vágújfalvi, C. Li, A. Soltész, J. Dubcovsky. 2009. Regulatory genes involved in the determination of frost tolerance in temperate cereals. Plant Science. 176:12-19.
*137. Chao S., W. Zhang, E. Akhunov, J. Sherman, Y. Ma, M. Luo, and J. Dubcovsky. 2009. Analysis of gene-derived SNP marker polymorphism in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Molecular Breeding. 23:23-33.
*136. Zhang,W., S. Chao, F. Manthey, O. Chicaiza, J.C. Brevis, V. Echenique, J. Dubcovsky. 2008. QTL analysis of pasta quality using a composite microsatellite - SNP map of durum wheat. Theor. Appl. Genet. 117:1361–1377.
*135. Lewis S., M.E. Faricelli, M.L. Appendino, M. Valarik, and J. Dubcovsky. 2008. The chromosome region including the earliness per se locus Eps-Am1 affects the duration of early developmental phases and spikelet number in diploid wheat. J. Exp. Bot. 59: 3595-3607. PMC2561150.
*134. Li, C. and J. Dubcovsky. 2008. Wheat FT protein regulates VRN1 transcription through interactions with FDL2. The Plant Journal 55:543-554. PMC4739743.
*133. Bonafede, M., O. Chicaiza, G. Tranquilli, and J. Dubcovsky. 2008. Registration of an hexaploid wheat translocation line carrying a short segment of chromosome 5Am including softness genes Pina and Pinb from Triticum monococcum. Journal of Plant Registration. 2:165-166.
*132. Brevis, J.C., I.A. Khan, O. Chicaiza, C.F. Morris, L. Jackson, and J. Dubcovsky. 2008. Agronomic and quality evaluation of common wheat near-isogenic lines carrying the leaf rust resistance gene Lr47. Crop Science. 48:1441-1451.
131. Vágújfalvi, A., A. Soltész, T. Kellős, J. Dubcovsky, L. Cattivelli, and G. Galiba. 2008. Frost tolerance in cereals – from a molecular point of view. Current Topics in Plant Biology. 8:71-80.
130. Distelfeld A., A. Korol, J. Dubcovsky, C. Uauy, T. Blake, and T. Fahima. 2008. Colinearity between the barley grain protein content (GPC) QTL on chromosome arm 6HS and the wheat Gpc-B1 region. Molecular Breeding 22:25-38.
*129. Zhang, W. and J. Dubcovsky. 2008. Association between allelic variation at the Phytoene synthase 1 gene and yellow pigment content in the wheat grain. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 116:635-645.
* 128. Knox, A.K., C. Li, A. Vágújfalvi, G. Galiba, E.J. Stockinger, and J. Dubcovsky. 2008. Identification of candidate CBF genes for the frost tolerance locus Fr-Am2 in Triticum monococcum. Plant Molecular Biology. 67:257-270.
127. Zhang X.K., X. C. Xia, Y.G. Xiao, J. Dubcovsky, and Z. H. He. 2008. Allelic variation at the vernalization genes Vrn-A1, Vrn-B1, Vrn-D1 and Vrn-B3 in Chinese common wheat cultivars and their association with growth habit. Crop Science 48:458–470.