Department of Animal Science, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Genetics of milk composition – applications of next generation sequencing approaches to study health and nutritional properties of bovine and human milk. Genetics of animal growth - characterization and mapping of growth and obesity QTL in mice.
Grad Group Affiliations
- Animal Biology
- Integrative Genetics and Genomics
Specialties / Focus
- Animal Genomics
- ANG 107 Genetics and Animal Breeding, Fall
- PLS 120 Applied Statistics in Agricultural Sciences Laboratory, Fall
- ANG 212 Sequence Analysis in Molecular Genetics (Bioinformatics), Winter
- Alma Islas-Trejo http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/faculty/medrano/People/alma_islas-trejo.htm
- Angela Canovas http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/postdocs/Canovas_Angela/
- Post-Doc, Fulbright Scholar
Honors and Awards
- 2001 National Medal of Science and Technology of Guatemala
- 2005 Jay L. Lush Award in Animal Breeding and Genetics, American Dairy Sci Associ
- 2009 Cattle Genome Coordinator USDA National Livestock Genome Initiative (NRSP8)
- Genetics Society of America
- American Dairy Science Association
- 1971 BS University of California, Davis
- 1973 MS University of California, Davis
- 1975 PhD University of California, Davis
- 1969 Agr Escuela Agricola Panamerican, El Zamorano
Medrano, J.F., A. Ahmadi and J. Casellas 2010. Dairy Cattle Breeding Simulation Program (DCBSP v.4.9), a simulation program to teach animal breeding principles and practices. Journal of Dairy Science 93:2816-2826.
Casellas, J., C.R. Farber, R.J. Gularte, K.A. Haus, C.H. Warden and J.F. Medrano 2009. Evidence of maternal QTL affecting growth and obesity in adult mice. Mammalian Genome 20:269-280.
Cánovas, A, G. Rincón, A.D. Islas, S. Wickramasinghe, and J. F. Medrano 2010. SNP Discovery in the bovine milk transcriptome using RNA-Seq technology. Mammalian Genome 21:592-598.
Wickramasinghe, S., G. Rincon and J. F. Medrano 2011. Variants in the pregnancy associated plasma protein-A2 gene on BTA16 are associated with daughter calving ease and productive life in Holstein cattle. Journal of Diary Science 94:1552-1558.
Momozawa,Y., V.Deffontaine, E.Louis, J.F.Medrano 2011. Characterization of bacteria in biopsies of colon and stools by high throughput sequencing of the V2 region of bacterial 16s rRNA gene in human. PLoS One 6(2):e16952
Wickramasinghe,S., S. Hua, G. Rincon, A. Islas-Trejo, J.B. German, C.B. Lebrilla, J.F. Medrano 2011. Transcriptome profiling of bovine milk oligosaccharide metabolism genes using RNA-Sequencing. PLoSOne 6(4):e18895
Rincon, G. A.D. Islas-Trejo, A.R. Castillo, D.E. Bauman, B.J. German, J.F. Medrano 2011. Polymorphisms in genes in the SCD/SREBP1 signaling pathway are associated with milk fatty acid composition in Holstein cattle. J. Dairy Research 25:1-10.
Wickramasinghe, S., G. Rincon, A. Islas-Trejo, J.F. Medrano 2012. Transcriptional profiling of bovine milk using RNA sequencing. BMC Genomics 13:45
Barboza M, J Pinzon, S Wickramasinghe, JW Froehlich, I Moeller, JT Smilowitz, LR Ruhaak, J Huang, B Lönnerdal, JB German, JF Medrano, BC Weimer, CB Lebrilla 2012. Glycosylation of Human Milk Lactoferrin exhibits dynamic changes during early lactation enhancing its role in pathogenic bacteria-host interactions. Mol Cell Proteomics 11(6):M111.015248, Epub 2012 Jun 19.
Cánovas, A., G. Rincón, A. Islas-Trejo, R. Jimenez-Flores, A. Laubscher and J. F. Medrano 2013. RNA-Sequencing to study gene expression and SNP variation associated with citrate content in cow’s milk. Journal of Dairy Science 96:2637-2648.
Chitwood, J., G. Rincon, G.G. Kaiser, J.F. Medrano and P.J. Ross 2013. SNP analysis and genomic annotation of individual bovine embryos using RNA-Sequencing. BMC Genomics 14:350.
Cronin, M.A., G. Rincon, R.W. Meredith, M.D. MacNeil, A. Islas-Trejo, A. Cánovas, J.F. Medrano 2014. Molecular phylogeny and SNP variation of polar bears (Ursus maritimus), brown bears (U. arctos) and black bears (U. americanus) derived from genome sequences. J Heredity 2014 Jan 29. [Epub ahead of print]