Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering
Grad Group Affiliations
- Biomedical Engineering Graduate Group
Specialties / Focus
- Computational and Theoretical Biology
- BIM 253/289A Molecular Systems Biology and Biomedicine, Spring
- BIM 152 Molecular Control of Biosystems, Spring
- BIM 189C Computational tools and applications in Bioengineering and Biomedicine, Spring
- Saiz Lab http://saizlab.bme.ucdavis.edu/
Honors and Awards
- 2008-2017: Editorial Board member, Journal of Membrane Biology (published by Springer)
- 2008: Academic Senate Research Travel Award
- 2008: Member, Physics Grants Review Panel, Spanish Government Funding Agency, May 13th 2008, Madrid (Spain)
- 2009: Member, NIH National Cancer Institute Special Emphasis Panel: Integrative Cancer Biology Program and Center for Cancer Systems Biology, National Institutes of Health, November 11-13 2009, Bethesda, Maryland (USA).
- 2009: Chair, Session on Membranes, CECAM Workshop on Linking Systems Biology and Biomolecular Simulations, Lausanne, Switzerland
- 2010: Member, NIH National Cancer Institute Special Emphasis Panel: Clinical Proteomic Technologies for Cancer Initiative Research, National Institutes of Health, December 13-15 2010, Bethesda, Maryland (USA).
- 2011: Publication "Control of gene expression by modulated self-assembly" [Nucleic Acids Research, 39, 6854-6863 (2011)] chosen by the editors as featured article of the Nucleic Acids Research journal ("featured articles represent the top 5% of papers in terms of originality, significance and scientific excellence")
- 2011: Publication "Trafficking coordinate description of intracellular transport control of signaling networks" [Biophysical Journal, 101, 2315-2323 (2011)] was chosen as featured article of the Biophysical Journal
- 2012: Publication "Trafficking coordinate description of intracellular transport control of signaling networks" [Biophysical Journal, 101, 2315-2323 (2011)] was highlighted in the Biophysical Society Newsletter (January 2012)
- 2012: Academic Senate Research Travel Award
- 2013: Chair, Platform on Systems Biophysics, 57th Biophysical Society Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA
- 2013: Publication "Systems Biophysics of Gene Expression" [Biophys. J., 104, 2574-2585 (2013)] chosen for Cell Press’ “Spotlight on Quantitative Cell Biology” ("best (recent) papers published in this area" in the Biophysical Journal).
- 2014: Publication "Systems Biophysics of Gene Expression" [Biophys. J., 104, 2574-2585 (2013)] awarded the distinction of "Best of 2013" by the Biophysical Society.
- 2014: A copy of the "Best of 2013" issue of the Biophysical Journal was provided to all of the participants in the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society in San Francisco (February 15-19, 2014) as part of the registration package.
- 2015-Present: Academic Editor, PLoS ONE
- 2015: Chair (Organizer) of the "Bioinformatics, Computational and Systems Biology" track of the 2015 Annual Meeting of the Biomedical Engineering Society in Tampa (October 7-10, 2015).
- 2015: Academic Senate Research Travel Award
- 2015: Chair, Platform on Molecules and Molecular Systems, 2015 Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL
- 2015: Chair, Platform on Big Data, Single-Cell Measurements, and Clinical Applications, 2015 Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL
- 2017: Guest editor, special issue on Signaling at Membranes, Journal of Membrane Biology (Springer)
- 2018: Chair, Platform on Sensing in vivo and in vitro, 62nd Biophysical Society Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- 2018: Academic Senate Research Travel Award
- 2018-present: Editorial Board member, Scientific Reports
- Biophysical Society
- American Physical Society
- American Chemical Society
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- 1998 PhD Physics University of Barcelona
(Selected publications: 2010-present)
M.L. Fanani, J.V. Busto, J. Sot, J.L. Abad, G. Fabrias, L. Saiz, J.M.G. Vilar, F.M. Goñi, B. Maggio, and A. Alonso, Clearly detectable, kinetically-restricted solid-solid phase transition in cis-ceramide monolayers, Langmuir, 34, 11749-11758 (2018).
J.M.G. Vilar and L. Saiz, Computing at the front-end by receptor networks, Cell Systems, 5, 316-318 (2017).
L. Saiz, Insights into signaling and the functional complexity of biological membranes, J. Membr. Biol., 250, 335-336 (2017).
I. Jeddi and L. Saiz, Three-dimensional modeling of single stranded DNA hairpins for aptamer-based biosensors, Scientific Reports, 7, 1178 (2017).
J. Doudna, R. Bar-Ziv, J. Elf, V. Noireaux, J. Berro, L. Saiz, D. Vavylonis, J.-L. Faulon, and P. Fordyce, How Will Kinetics and Thermodynamics Inform Our Future Efforts to Understand and Build Biological Systems?, Cell Systems, 4, 144-146 (2017).
A. Keller, R.C. Gerkin, Y. Guan, A. Dhurandhar, G. Turu, B. Szalai, J.D. Mainland, Y. Ihara, C.W. Yu., R. Wolfinger, C. Vens, L. Schietgat, K. De Grave, R. Norel, G. Stolovitzky, G.A. Cecchi, L.B. Vosshall, P. Meyer, DREAM Olfaction Prediction Consortium (including L. Saiz), Predicting human olfactory perception from chemical features of odor molecules, Science, 355, 820-826 (2017).
J.M.G. Vilar and L. Saiz, Suppression and enhancement of transcriptional noise by DNA looping, Phys. Rev. E, 89, 062703 (2014).
S.K. Sinha and L. Saiz, Determinants of protein-ligand complex formation in the thyroid hormone receptor α: a Molecular Dynamics simulation study, Comp. Theor. Chem., 1038, 57-66 (2014).
Q. Mei and L. Saiz, Literature-based automated reconstruction, expansion, and refinement of the TGF-β superfamily ligand-receptor network, J. Membr. Biol., 247, 381-386 (2014).
D. Nicklas and L. Saiz, In silico identification of potential therapeutic targets in the TGF-β signal transduction pathway, Mol. BioSyst., 10, 537-548 (2014).
D. Nicklas and L. Saiz, Characterization of negative feedback network motifs in the TGF-β signaling pathway, PLoS One, 8, e83531 (2013).
J.M.G. Vilar and L. Saiz, Reliable prediction of complex phenotypes from a modular design in free energy space: an extensive exploration of the lac operon, ACS Synthetic Biology, 2, 576–586 (2013)
D. Nicklas and L. Saiz, Computational modeling of smad-mediated negative feedback and crosstalk in the TGF-β superfamily network, J. R. Soc. Interface, 10, 20130363 (2013).
J.M.G. Vilar and L. Saiz, Systems Biophysics of Gene Expression, Biophys. J., 104, 2574-2585 (2013)
L. Saiz, The physics of protein-DNA interaction networks in the control of gene expression, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 24, 193102 (2012).
J.M.G. Vilar and L. Saiz, Trafficking coordinate description of intracellular transport control of signaling networks, Biophys. J., 101, 2315-2323 (2011).
J.M.G. Vilar and L. Saiz, Control of gene expression by modulated self-assembly, Nucleic Acids Research, 39, 6854-6863 (2011).
J.M.G. Vilar and L. Saiz, CplexA: a Mathematica package to study macromolecular-assembly control of gene expression, Bioinformatics, 26, 2060-2061 (2010).