Department of Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Dr. Huang has primarily focused on mammalian zinc transporter proteins and their roles in maintaining body zinc homeostasis, regulating body adiposity, insulin sensitivity, and insulin secretion. Her work involves in cell lines, mouse models of human diseases and samples from human subjects.
Grad Group Affiliations
- Integrative Genetics and Genomics
- Nutrition Graduate Group
Specialties / Focus
- Animal Genetics and Genomics
- Society for Zinc Biology
- The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society of Nutrition
- 1983 MD Medicine and Public Health Shanghai Medical University
- 1995 PhD Molecular Virology University of Iowa
- Yimeng C, Kirschke CP, Huang L. SLC30A family expression in the pancreatic islets of humans and mice: cellular localization in the β-cells. Mol. Histol. 2018, 49:133-145.
- Baldiviez LM, Keim NL, Laugero KD, Hwang DH, Huang L, Woodhouse LR, Burnett DJ, Zerofsky MS, Bonnel EL, Allen LH, Newman JR, Stephensen CB. Design and Implementation of a Cross-sectional Nutritional Phenotyping Study in Healthy US Adults. BMC Nutrition. 2017, 3:79.
- Tepaamorndech S. Ooat, P., Kirschke CP, Cai YM., Huang L. ZNT7 binds to CD40 and influences CD154-triggered p38 MAPK activity in B lymphocytes: a possible regulatory mechanism for zinc in immune function FEBS Open Bio. 2017, 7:675-90.
- Huang L and Kirschke CP. Down-regulation of zinc transporter 8 (SLC30A8) in pancreatic beta-cells promotes cell survival. Austin J Edocrinol. Diabetes. 2016, 3(1):1037.
- Tepaamorndech S, Kirschke CP, Pedersen TL, Keyes WR, Newman JW, Huang L. Zinc transporter 7 deficiency affects lipid synthesis in adipocytes by inhibiting insulin-dependent Akt activation and glucose uptake. FEBS J. 2016 Jan;283(2):378-94. PubMed PMID: 26524605.
- Huang L, Drake VJ, Ho E. Zinc. Adv Nutr. 2015 Mar;6(2):224-6.
- Tepaamorndech S, Kirschke CP, Huang L. Linking cellular zinc status to body weight and fat mass: mapping quantitative trait loci in Znt7 knockout mice. Mamm Genome. 2014 Aug;25(7-8):335-53.
- Huang L. Vitamins and Homones. 95 ed. Litwack G, editor. USA: Elsevier Inc.; 2014. Zinc and its transporters, pancreatic beta-cells, and insulin metabolism, 365-390p.
- Huang L, Tepaamorndech S. The SLC30 family of zinc transporters - a review of current understanding of their biological and pathophysiological roles. Mol Aspects Med. 2013 Apr-Jun;34(2-3):548-60.
- Huang L, Kirschke CP, Lay YA, Levy LB, Lamirande DE, et al. Znt7-null mice are more susceptible to diet-induced glucose intolerance and insulin resistance. J Biol Chem. 2012 Sep 28;287(40):33883-96.