Inflammation, innate immunity, adhesion biomechanics, cardiovascular disease, lab-on-a-chip microfluidics
Grad Group Affiliations
Specialties / Focus
- Dynamics and Biophysical Engineering
- simon lab http://www.bme.ucdavis.edu/simonlab/author/simon/
Honors and Awards
- Established Investigator Award, American Heart Association
- 1983 BS Applied Mechanics Engineering Sciences University of California, San Diego
- 1988 PhD Biomedical Engineering University of California, San Diego
- 1990 Post-Doctoral Fellowship - Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation - Inflammation Biology - 1988-
Morikis VA, Chase S, Wun T, Chaikof EL, Magnani JL, Simon SI. Selectin catch-bonds mechanotransduce integrin activation and neutrophil arrest on inflamed endothelium under shear flow. 2017. Blood. Aug 15. doi: 10.1182
Bailey KA, Haj FG, Simon SI, Passerini AG. Atherosusceptible Shear Stress Activates Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress to Promote Endothelial Inflammation. 2017. Sci Rep. Aug 15;7(1):8196.
Granick, JL, Falahee, P, Dahmubed, D, Borjesson, Miller, LS, Simon, SI. 2013. Staphylococcus aureus recognition by hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells via TLR2/MyD88/PGE2 stimulates granulopoiesis in wounds. Blood 122(10): 1770-1778.
Falahee PC, Anderson LS, Reynolds MB, Pirir M, McLaughlin BE, Dillen CA, Cheung AL, Miller LS, Simon SI. 2017. α-Toxin Regulates Local Granulocyte Expansion from Hematopoietic Stem and Progenitor Cells in Staphylococcus aureus-Infected Wounds. J Immunol. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1700649. [Epub ahead of print]
Lum, A., Green, C., Staunton, D. and S.I. Simon. (2002) Dynamic regulation of LFA-1 activation and neutrophil arrest on ICAM-1 in shear flow. J. Biol. Chem. 277:20660-20670.
Evans E., Leung A., Hammer D., and S.I. Simon. Chemically-distinct transition states govern rapid rupture of single L-selectin bonds under force. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 Mar 27;98(7):3784-