Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, School of Medicine
UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center
1. Development of novel nano-medicine platforms and new therapeutics.
The Li Laboratory aims to 1) develop next generation nano-medicine platforms and novel therapeutics by learning from Mother Nature and clinical practices, 2) obtain fundamental knowledge on how these subjects interact with biological systems, and 3) apply them to solve complex medical problems that are associated with cancer and other diseases. These research projects integrate recent advances in interdisciplinary fields, such as nanotechnology, molecular imaging, medicinal chemistry, material sciences, engineering and biology, to create innovative technologies and therapeutics. Significant efforts have also been devoted to the rapid “bench to bed side” translation of these innovative technologies and therapeutics that can tremendously benefit the health of human and companion animals. We are particularly interested in the following research area:
1. Targeting and programmable drug/gene delivery
2. Activatable MRI and fluorescent probes
3. Medicinal chemistry for drug development
5. Enabling technology for immunoengineering
6. New biomaterials/bio-inspired materials
2. Exosomes/oncosomes and stem cells
We are interested in new isolation, drug discovery & development, targeting delivery and engineering technologies that are related to stem cells, autophagy and exosomes/oncosomes from clinical patients.
Grad Group Affiliations
- Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
- Pharmacology and Toxicology (PTX)
Specialties / Focus
- Cancer Biology
- Molecular Medicine
- Stem Cell Biology
- Li Lab
- Dr. Xiangdong Xue (Postdoctoral scholar)
- Dr. Hao Wu (Postdoctoral scholar)
- Dr. Zhao Ma (Postdoctoral scholar)
- Dr. Dalin Zhang (Postdoctoral scholar)
- Dr. Aaron Lindstrom (Postdoctoral scholar)
- Dr. Lingdong Jiang (Postdoctoral scholar)
- Dr. Hongbo Zheng (Postdoctoral scholar)
- Mythili Ramachandran (Graduate student)
- Dr. Bai Xiang (Visiting Professor)
- Haijing Qu (Visiting Graduate student)
- Kai Lin (Visiting Graduate student)
- Longmeng Li (Visiting Graduate student)
- Menghuan Tang (Visiting Graduate student)
- Yangxi Xu (Visiting Graduate student)
- Jordan Lara (Undergraduate)
- Deepak Ganesh Vijay (Undergraduate)
Honors and Awards
- U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) PCRP Fellowship Award
- World Molecular Imaging Society
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Controlled Release Society (CRS)
64. Wang Z, Xue X, Lu H , He Y, Lu Z, Chen Z, Yuan Y, Tang N, Dreyer CA, Quigley L, Currov N, Lam KS, Walton JH, Lin T, Louie A, Gilbert DA, Liu K, Ferrara KW, Li Y* (corresponding author), Two-way magnetic resonance tuning and enhanced subtraction imaging for non-invasive and quantitative biological imaging, Nature Nanotechnology, 2020, Accepted
63. Wu H , Zhang L, Yang J, Bo R, Du H, Lin K, Zhang D, Ramachandran M, Shen Y, Xu Y, Xue X, Ma Z, Lindstrom AR, Carney R, Lin T, Li Y*(corresponding author), Rotatable Aggregation-Induced-Emission/Aggregation-Caused-Quenching Ratio Strategy for Real-Time Tracking Nanoparticle Dynamics, Advanced Functional Materials, 2020, 1910348, https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201910348
62. Wu H, Lu H, Xiao W, Yang J, Du H, Shen Y, Qu H, Jia B, Manna SK, Ramachandran M, Xue X, Ma Z, Xu X, Wang Z, He Y, Lam KS, Zawadzki RJ, Li Y* (corresponding author), Lin T*, Sequential Targeting in Crosslinking Nano-theranostics for Tackling the Multi-barriers of Brain Tumors, Advanced Materials, 2020, 1903759, https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201903759
61. Yuan Y, Bo R, Jing D, Ma Z, Wang Z, Lin T, Dong L, Xue X*, Li Y* (corresponding author), Excipient-free porphyrin/SN-38 based nanotheranostics for drug delivery and cell imaging, Nano Research, 2020, In press, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12274-020-2641-z
60. Zhang L, JingD, Jiang N, Rojalin T, Baehr CM, Zhang D, Xiao W, Wu Y, Cong Z, Li JJ, Li Y, Wang L, Lam KS. Transformable peptide nanoparticles arrest HER2 signaling and cause cancer cell death in vivo. Nature Nanotechnology, 2020, 15, 145–153
59. Zhang L, Huang Y, Lindstrom AR, Lin T, Lam KS, Li Y* (corresponding author), Peptide-based materials for cancer immunotherapy, Theranostics 2019; 9(25):7807-7825
58. Xue X, Lindstrom AR, Qu H, Li Y* (corresponding author), Recent advances on small‐molecule nanomedicines for cancer treatment, WIREs: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, 2019, e1607
57. Lin T, Li Y, Zhang H, Ma A, Pan C, Jonas B. Daunorubicin-containing CLL1-targeting nanomicelles have anti-leukemia stem cell activity in acute myeloid leukemia. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 2019, 20(102004).
56. Xue X, Lindstrom AR, Li Y* (corresponding author), Porphyrin-based nanomedicines for cancer treatment, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2019, 30 (6), 1585-1603
55. Goswami M, Wang X, Zhang P, Xiao W, Karlen SJ, Li Y, Zawadzki RJ, Burns ME, Lam KS, Pugh EN, Jr.. Novel window for cancer nanotheranostics: non-invasive ocular assessments of tumor growth and nanotherapeutic treatment efficacy in vivo. Biomedical Optics Express, 2018,10(1): 151-66.
54. Li J, Tan W, Xiao W, Carney RP, Men Y, Li Y, Quon G, Ajena Y, Lam KS, Pan T. A Plug-and-Play, Drug-on-Pillar Platform for Combination Drug Screening Implemented by Microfluidic Adaptive Printing. Analytical Chemistry, 2018 90(23): 13969-13977.
53. Xue X, Huang Y, Bo R, Jia B, Wu H, Yuan Y, Wang Z, Ma Z, Jing D, Xu X, Yu W, Lin T, Li Y* (Corresponding author), Trojan Horse Nanotheranostics with Dual Transformability and Multifunctionality for Highly Effective Cancer Treatment, Nature Communications, 2018, 9, 3653.
52. Zhang L, Jing D, Wang L, Sun Y, Li J, Hill B, Yang F, Li Y*(corresponding author), Lam KS*, Unique Photochemo-Immuno-Nanoplatform against Orthotopic Xenograft Oral Cancer and Metastatic Syngeneic Breast Cancer, Nano Letters, 2018, 18 (11), 7092–7103.
51. Xue X, Huang Y, Wang X, Wang Z, Carney RP, Li X, He Y, Lin T, Li Y*(corresponding author), Self-indicating, fully active pharmaceutical ingredients nanoparticles (FAPIN) for multimodal imaging guided trimodality cancer therapy, Biomaterials, 2018, 161, 203–215.
50. Wang Z, Xue X, He Y, Lu Z, Jia B, Wu H, Yuan Y, Wang H, Lu H, Lam K, Lin T, Li Y* (corresponding author). Novel redox-responsive polymeric magnetosomes with tunable magnetic resonance property for in vivo drug release visualization and dual-modal cancer therapy. Advanced Functional Materials, 2018, 28(33), 1802159.
49. Xiao K, Liu Q, Al Awwad N, Zhang H, Lai L, Luo Y, Lee JS, Li Y*(corresponding author), Lam KS*, Reversibly disulfide cross-linked micelles improve the pharmacokinetics and facilitate the targeted, on-demand delivery of doxorubicin in the treatment of B-cell lymphoma, Nanoscale, 2018, 10(17), 8207-8216.
48. Wang X, Ding X, Li X, He Y, Kong D, Zhang L, Hu X, Yang J, Zhao M, Gao S, Lin T, Li Y*(corresponding author), A highly integrated precision nanomedicine strategy to target esophageal squamous cell cancer molecularly and physically, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 2018, 14 (7), 2103-2114.
47. Wang X, Zhang L, Li X, Kong D, Hu X, Ding X, Yang J, Zhao M, He Y, Lam KS, Gao S, Lin T, Li Y* (Corresponding author). Nanoformulated paclitaxel and AZD9291 synergistically eradicate non-small-cell lung cancers in vivo. Nanomedicine, 2018, 13(10), 1107-1120.
46. Long Q, Lin T, Huang Y, Ma A, Zhang H, Carney RP, Airhart S, Lam KS, deVere White RW, Chong-xian Pan C, Li Y*(corresponding author), Imaging-guided photo-therapeutic nanoporphyrin synergized HSP90 inhibitor in patient-derived xenograft bladder cancer model, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 2018, 14, 789-799.
45. Luo Y, Wu H, Feng C, Xiao K, Yang X, Liu Q, Lin T, Zhang H, Walton JH, Ajena Y, Hu Y, Lam KS, Li Y*(corresponding author), “One-Pot” Fabrication of Highly Versatile and Biocompatible Poly(vinyl alcohol)-porphyrin-based Nanotheranostics. Theranostics, 2017, 7(16): 3901-3914
44. Wang Z, Qiao R, Tang N, Lu Z, Wang H, Zhang Z, Xue X, Huang Z, Zhang S, Zhang G, Li Y*(corresponding author), Active targeting theranostic iron oxide nanoparticles for MRI and magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound ablation of lung cancer, Biomaterials, 2017, 127, 25–35
43. Xiao W, Suby N, Xiao K, Lin T, Awwad NA, Lam KS, & Li Y*(corresponding author), Extremely long tumor retention, multi-responsive boronate crosslinked micelles with superior therapeutic efficacy for ovarian cancer, Journal of Controlled Release , 2017, 264, 169-179
42. Xiao K, Lin T, Lam KS, Li Y*(corresponding author), A facile strategy for fine-tuning the stability and drug release of stimuli-responsive cross-linked micellar nanoparticles towards precision drug delivery, Nanoscale, 2017, 9, 7765-7770
41. Yang X, Xue X, Luo Y, Lin T, Zhang H, Lac D, Xiao K, He Y, Jia B, Lam KS, & Li Y*(corresponding author), Sub-100 nm, Long Tumor Retention SN-38-Loaded Photonic Micelles for Tri-modal Cancer Therapy, Journal of Controlled Release , 2017, 261, 297-306
40. Wang X, Kong D, Lin T, Li X, Izumiya Y, Ding X, Zhang L, Hu X, Yang J, Gao S, Lam K, Li Y* (corresponding author), A versatile nanoplatform for synergistic combination therapy of esophageal cancer. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, 2017, 38, 931–942
39. Bharadwaj G, Viet Nhan V, Yang S, Li X, Narayanan A, Macarenco AA, Shi Yu, Yang D, Vieira SL, Xiao W, Li Y & Lam KS, Cholic acid-based novel micellar nanoplatform for delivering FDA-approved taxanes, Nanomedicine (London), 2017, 12(10):1153-1164
38. Hao D, Xiao W, Liu R, Kumar P, Li Y, Zhou P, Guo F, Farmer D, Lam KS, Wang F, Wang A, Discovery and Characterization of a Potent and Specific Peptide Ligand Targeting Endothelial Progenitor Cells and Endothelial Cells for Tissue Regeneration, ACS Chemical Biology, 2017, 12 (4), 1075-1086
37. Zhou F, Shimoda M, Olney L, Lyu Y, Tran K, Jiang G, Nakano K, Davis RR, Tepper CG, Maverakis E, Campbell M, Li Y, Dandekar S & Izumiya Y, Oncolytic Reactivation of KSHV as a Therapeutic Approach for Primary Effusion Lymphoma, Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 2017, 16 (11), 2627-2638
36. He W, Felderman M, Evans AC, Geng J, Homan D, Bourguet F, Fischer Li Y, Lam KS, Noy A, Xing L, Cheng HR, Rasley A, Blanchette CD, Kamrud K, Wang N, Gouvis H, Peterson TC, Hubby B, Coleman MA, Cell-free Production of a Functional Oligomeric Form of a Chlamydia Major Outer Membrane Protein (MOMP) for Vaccine Development, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2017, 292(36):15121-15132
35. Lin T, Guo W, Long Q, Ma A, Liu Q, Zhang H, Pan C, Lam KS, Li Y* (corresponding author). HSP90 inhibitor encapsulated photo-theranostic nanoparticles for synergistic combination cancer therapy. Theranostics, 2016, 6(9), 1324-1335
34. Lin T/Li Y (co-first author), Liu Q, Chen J, Zhang H, Lac D, Zhang H, Ferrara KW, Wachsmann-H S, Li T, Airhart S, deVere White R, Pan C, Lam KS, Novel theranostic nanoporphyrins for photodynamic diagnosis and trimodal therapy for bladder cancer. Biomaterials, 2016, 104, 339-351
33. Bharadwaj G, Lee JS, Kekessie I, Lam KS, Li Y* (corresponding author). A facile and efficient approach for production of reversible disulfide cross-linked micelles. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2016, e54722-e54722
32. Pan A, Zhang H, Li Y, Lin T, Wang F, Lee J, Cheng M, Dall’Era M, Li T, deVere White R, Pan C and Lam KS, Disulfide-crosslinked nanomicelles confer cancer-specific drug delivery and improve efficacy of paclitaxel in bladder cancer. Nanotechnology, 2016, 27, 425103
31. Orbay H, Li Y, Xiao W, Cherry SR, Lam KS, Sahar DE, Developing a Nanoparticle-Delivered High-Efficacy Treatment for Infantile Hemangiomas Using a Mouse Hemangioendothelioma, Model. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2016, 138(2), 410-417
30. Xiao K/Li Y (co-first author), Wang C, Ahmad S, Vu M, Kuma K, Cheng Y, Lam KS, Disulfide cross-linked micelles of novel HDAC inhibitor thailandepsin A for the treatment of breast cancer. Biomaterials, 2015, 67,183-193, PMID: 26218744
29. Lin T, Rodriguez CO, Li Y, Nanomedicine in Veterinary Oncology, The Veterinary Journal, 2015, 205 (2):189-197, PMID: 25862394
28. Zhang P, Zam A, Jian Y, Wang X, Li Y, Lam KS, Flannery JG, Burns ME, Sarunic MV, Pugh E, Zawadzki R, Compact, wide-field multispectral SLO-OCT in vivo mouse retinal imager: system design, performance and applications, Journal of Biomedical Optics, 2015, 20(12), 126005
27. Chen Y, Su J, Duan L, Li Y, Liu X, Preparation of waterborne polyurethane acrylate (PUA) and application to UV-curing coatings. Journal of Chemical Science and Technology, 2015; 4(1):8-15
26. Li Y* (corresponding author), Xiao K, Zhu W, Deng W, Lam KS*, Stimuli-responsive cross-linked micelles for on-demand drug delivery against cancers. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2014, 66, 58-73, PMID: 24060922
25. Li Y* (corresponding author), Lin T, Luo Y, Liu Q, Xiao W, Guo W, Lac D, Zhang H, Feng C, Wachsmann-H S, Walton JH, Cherry SR, Rowland DJ, Kukis D, Pan C, Lam KS*, A smart and versatile theranostic nanomedicine platform based on nanoporphyrin. Nature Communications, 2014, 5, 4712, PMID: 25158161, (reported as a Research Highlight by Nature Publishing Group (NPG))
24. Jian Z, Han H, Zhang T, Puglisi J, Izu LT, Shaw JA , Onofiok E, Erickson JR, Chen Y, Horvath B, Shimkunas R, Xiao W, Li Y, Pan T, Chan J, Banyasz T, Tardiff JC, Chiamvimonvat N, Bers DM, Lam KS & Chen-Izu Y, Mechanochemotransduction during cardiomyocyte contraction is mediated by localized nitric oxide signaling. Science Signaling, 2014, 7, ra27, PMID: 24643800 (Featured as Cover Image)
23. Zhang H, Li Y, Lin T, Xiao K, Haddad AS, Henderson PT, Jonas BA, Chen M, Xiao W, Liu R, Lam KS, Pan C, Nanomicelle formulation modifies the pharmacokinetic profiles and cardiac toxicity of daunorubicin. Nanomedicine, 2014, 20, 1-14, PMID:24628688
22. Lin T, Li Y, Zhang H, Luo J, Goodwin N, Gao T, White R, Lam KS, Pan C, Tumor-targeting multifunctional micelles for imaging and chemotherapy of advanced bladder cancer. Nanomedicine, 2013, 8(8):1239-1251, PMID: 23199207
21. Guo W, Liu R, Bhardwaj G, Ma A, Changou C, Yang JC, Li Y, Feng C, Luo Y, Mazloom A, Sanchez E, Wang Y, Huang W, Patterson R, Evans CP, Lam KS, Kung HJ, CTA095, a Novel Etk and Src Dual Inhibitor, Induces Apoptosis in Prostate Cancer Cells and Overcomes Resistance to Src Inhibitors. PLoS One, 2013, 8(8), e70910, PMID: 23967135
20. Xiao K, Suby N, Li Y, Lam KS, Telodendrimer-based nanocarriers for the treatment of ovarian cancer. Therapeutic Delivery, 2013, 4 (10), 1279-1292, PMID: 24116912
19. Xiao W, Bononi FC, Townsend J, Li Y, Liu R, Lam KS, Immobilized OBOC combinatorial bead array to facilitate multiplicative screening. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen. 2013, 16: 441-448, PMCID: 23488896
18. Xiao K/Li Y (co-first author), Lee JS, Gonik AM, Dong T, Fung G, Sanchez E, Xing L, Cheng HR, Luo J, Lam KS, "OA02" Peptide facilitates the precise targeting of paclitaxel-loaded micellar nanoparticles to ovarian cancer in vivo. Cancer Research, 2012, 72(8):2100-2110, PMID:22396491
17. Li Y, Budamagunta M, Luo J, Xiao W, Voss J, Lam KS, Probing of the assembly Structure and dynamics within nanoparticles during interaction with blood proteins. ACS Nano, 2012, 6 (11), 9485-9495, PMID: 23106540
16. Li Y, Xiao W, Xiao K, Berti L, Luo J, Tseng HP, Fung G and Lam KS, Well-defined, reversible boronate crosslinked nanocarriers for targeted drug delivery in response to pH and cis-Diols. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2012, 51, 2864-2869, PMID:22253091 (Very Important Paper (VIP) (top 5%), highlighted on the inside back cover)
15. Lin T, Zhang H, Luo J, Li Y, Gao T, Lara PN, White R, Lam KS, Pan C, Multifunctional targeting micelle nanocarriers with both imaging and therapeutic potential for bladder cancer. International journal of Nanomedicine, 2012, 7:2793-2804, PMID: 22745542
14. Kato J/Li Y (co-first author), Xiao K, Luo J, Lee JS, Toscano J, Lam KS, Reversibly disulfide cross-linked micelles for on-demand vincristine delivery. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2012 9(6):1727-35, PMID:22530955
13. Zhang H, Luo J, Li Y, Henderson PT, Wachsmann-Hogiu S, Lam KS, Pan C, Characterization of high affinity peptides and their feasibility for use in nanotherapeutics targeting leukemia stem cells. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 2012, 8(7):1116-1124, PMID:22197725
12. Li Y, Xiao K, Luo J, Lee JS., Xiao W, Kato J, Lam KS, Well-defined, reversible disulfide cross-linked micelles for on-demand paclitaxel delivery. Biomaterials, 2011, 32 (27) , 6633-6645, PMID:21658763
11. Xiao K, Luo J, Li Y, Lee JS, Lam KS, PEG-oligocholic acid telodendrimer micelles for the targeted delivery of doxorubicin to B-cell lymphoma. Journal of Controlled Release, 2011,155(2), 272-281, PMID:22295849
10. Xiao K/Li Y (co-first author), Luo J, Lee JS, Xiao W, Gonik AM, Agarwal R, Lam KS, The effect of surface charge on in vivo biodistribution of PEG-oligocholic acid based micellar nanoparticles. Biomaterials, 2011, 32(13), 3435-3446, PMID:22295849
9. Li Y, Xiao K, Luo J, Lee J, Pan S, Lam KS, A novel size-tunable nanocarrier system for targeted anticancer drug delivery. Journal of Controlled Release, 2010, 144(3), 314-323, PMID:20211210
8. Du Z, Pan S, Yu Q, Li Y, Wen Y, Zhang W, Feng M, Wu C, Paclitaxel-loaded micelles composed of folate poly(ethylene glycol) and poly(γ-benzyl L-glutamate) diblock copolymer. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2010, 353(2-3),140-148
7. Berti L, Woldeyesus T, Li Y, Lam KS, Maximization of loading and stability of ssDNA: iron oxide nanoparticle complexes formed through electrostatic interaction. Langmuir, 2010, 26 (23), 18293-18299, PMID: 21047109
6. Luo J, Xiao K, Li Y, Lee JS, Xing L, Cheng HR, Lam KS, Well-defined, size-tunable, multi-functional micelles for efficient paclitaxel delivery for cancer treatment. Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2010, 21(7), 1616-1624, PMID:20536174
5. Xiao K, Luo J; Li Y, Lee JS, Lam KS, The passive targeting of polymeric micelles in various types and stages of tumor models. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters, 2010 2(2), 79-85
4. Li Y, Pan S, Zhang W, Du Z, Novel thermo-sensitive core-shell nanoparticles for targeted paclitaxel delivery, Nanotechnology, 2009, 20, 065104. PMID:17417372
3. Xiao K, Luo J, Fowler W, Li Y, Lee JS, Wang L, Lam KS, A novel self-assembling nanoparticle for paclitaxel delivery in ovarian cancer treatment. Biomaterials, 2009, 30(30), 6006-6016, PMID:19660809
2. Wu G, Li Y, Han M, Liu X, Preparation and characterization of N, N-diethylacrylamide and acryl acid binary monomers-grafted polypropylene films with temperature- and pH-sensitivities. Acta Polymerica Sinica, 2006, 9,10220-1028
1. Wu G, Li Y, Han M, Liu X, Novel thermo-sensitive membranes prepared by rapid bulk photo-grafting polymerization of N,N-diethylacrylamide onto the microfiltration membranes Nylon. Journal of Membrane Science, 2006, 283, 13-20