A First-Year Experience Program
The BioLaunch program helps freshmen and transfer students develop a sense of community, build life science skills and find research opportunities within the UC Davis College of Biological Sciences. With BioLaunch, you’ll find your home on campus and explore resources that'll place you on the path to success.
- A fall welcome introduces incoming students to their classmates
- The BioLaunch Mentor Collective matches new and returning College of Biological Sciences students with peer mentors for academic and social support
- Exploring Biological Sciences BIS 005 (freshmen) and BIS 198 (transfer students) is one-unit, pass/no pass course that introduces incoming students to on-campus resources and opportunities for experiential learning
- Exclusive opportunities to attend seminars hosted by world-renowned researchers and faculty
Exploring Biological Sciences (BIS 005 for freshmen and BIS 198 for transfer students) is a low-intensity, one-unit, pass/no-pass, seminar-style class designed to familiarize you with the College of Biological Sciences through coursework and esteemed guest lecturers.
- Gain firsthand knowledge about research opportunities and career paths from professors and researchers sharing their journeys
- You'll build your professional skills by creating a LinkedIn profile, drafting letters of interest to grow professional networks with your peers, faculty and researchers across campus, and get help identifying research opportunities
The mentor collective:
The BioLaunch Mentor Collective is a peer-to-peer program that creates opportunities for mentors to build their leadership skills, share their experiences and help new students feel welcome. Mentors and mentees communicate through monthly check-ins via video-chat, text, email or any other method you and your mentee prefer.
How does the collective work?
- Based on your interests, you’ll be matched with a student mentor who can answer many common questions about academics, campus and more.
- This mentor began as a new student too and has volunteered to share their experiences to help get you familiar with life at UC Davis and welcome you to our community.
Who are the Mentors?
- Your mentor will be a returning student in the College of Biological Sciences. If you tell us about your interests and the qualities of your ideal mentor, we’ll match you with a student that best fits your unique profile.
How do I sign up?
- Incoming College of Biological Sciences students are invited to this program by email before Fall quarter.
The BioLaunch program offers undergraduates many ways to get involved with the College of Biological Sciences community during their first year on campus. Upcoming events TBA.