The 1940s

Staff pose with the firetruck

Campus staff members gather for a picture with the new fire truck.

World War II brings academic pursuits to a halt as campus closes to become an Army training site. When college life resumes after 1945, so many students arrive on the GI Bill that residents must bunk in the gym.

1940s: Graduate instruction in microbiology begins.

1940: Katherine Esau wins a Guggenheim fellowship to study the anatomy and physiology of vascular plants.

1942: Botany faculty publish the first-ever college textbook on weed control, based on research conducted here.

1943: The entire Davis campus is converted into an Army training facility for the duration of World War II. Faculty not in military service or otherwise needed at Davis are transferred to Berkeley or UCLA.

1946: Department of Bacteriology forms (now Microbiology).

1947: Edgar Painter offers the first biochemistry courses; will become its own department in 1958.