Department of Evolution and Ecology
Center for Population Biology
Plant ecological genomics and evolutionary ecology; mechanisms of phenotypic plasticity, local adaptation and response to environmental change
Grad Group Affiliations
- Plant Biology
- Population Biology
Specialties / Focus
- Environmental and Integrative Biology
- Systematics and Evolutionary Biology
Honors and Awards
- 2010 - American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2008 - National Academy of Sciences
- 2007 - Alexander von Humboldt Research Award
- 2003 - Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1992-1993 NSF Midcareer Fellowship in Environmental Biology
- 1991-1996 NSF Faculty Award for Women in Science and Engineering
- Past President, Society for the Study of Evolution and American Society of Naturalists
- 1974 B.A. with distinction in Biology Swarthmore College
- 1981 Ph.D. Biological Sciences Stanford University
Fournier-Level, A. Korte, M.D. Cooper, M. Nordborg, J. Schmitt and A.M. Wilczek. 2011. A map of local adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 334: 86-89.
Huang, X., J. Schmitt, L. Dorn, C. Griffith, S. Effgen, S. Takao, M. Koornneef, K. Donohue. 2010. The earliest stages of adaptation in an experimental plant population: strong selection on QTLs for seed dormancy. Molecular Ecology 19: 1335-1351
Wilzcek, A.M., L.T. Burghardt, A.R. Cobb, M.D. Cooper, S.M.Welch, J. Schmitt. 2010 Genetic and physiological bases for phenological responses to current and predicted climates. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. B., 365:3129-3147.
Wilczek, J. Roe, M. Knapp, M. Cooper, C.M. Lopez-Gallego, L. Martin, C. Muir, S. Sim, A. Walker, J. Anderson, J.F. Egan, B. Moyers, R. Petipas, A. Giakountis, E. Charbit, G. Coupland, S.M. Welch, and J. Schmitt. 2009. Effects of genetic perturbation on seasonal life history plasticity. Science, 323:930-934.
Stinchcombe, J.R., C.Weinig, K.D. Heath, M.T. Brock, and J. Schmitt. 2009. Polymorphic genes of major effect: consequences for variation, selection, and evolution. Genetics 182: 911-922.
Fournier-Level, A., A.M.Wilczek, M.D. Cooper, J.L. Roe, J. Anderson, D. Eaton, B.T. Moyers, R.H. Petipas, R.N.Schaeffer, B. Pieper, M.Reymond, M. Koornneef, S.M. Welch, D.L.Remington, and J. Schmitt. 2013. Paths to selection on life history loci in different natural environments across the native range of Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Ecology doi: 10.1111/mec.12285