Department Chair; Professor
Department of Plant Biology
NLRs and PRRs function in innate immune signaling
Programmed cell death (PCD)
Grad Group Affiliations
- Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
- Plant Biology
- PLP 210 Biochemistry and Mol Biology of Plant-Microbe interactions , Winter - Guest Lecture
- GGG 210A Advanced Genetic Analysis , Fall - Guest Lecture
- BIS 104 Cell Biology, Fall
- MCB 120L Molecular Biology and Biochemistry Laboratory, Fall
- Dinesh-Kumar http://dinesh-kumarlab.genomecenter.ucdavis.edu/
- Ugrappa Nagalakshmi - Research Scientist
- Neeraj Lal - BMCDB Graduate Student
- Isaiah Mohr - PBGG Graduate Student
- Yongliang Zhang - Visiting Professor, China Agriculture University
- Xu Tengzhi - Visiting PhD Student-China Agriculture University
- Pin-Jui Huang - Junior Specialist
- Alexander Nagourney-Undergraduate Student
- Dean Paz-Undergraduate Student
- Gita Mallya-Undergraduate Student
- Nathan Ryan Sanjaya - Undergraduate Student
- Ronni Ponek - Undergraduate Student
- Vicki Li - Undergraduate Student
- My Huyen Nguyen-Undergraduate Student
Honors and Awards
- 2015-2016 Faculty Research Award, College of Biological Sciences, UC Davis
- 2010-2011 Semifinalist, HHMI-GBMF Investigator Competition
- 2002-2003 Junior Faculty Fellowship
- 2000 Hellman Family Fellowship
- American Society of Plant Biology
- American Phytopathological Society
- 1994 Ph D Mol Cellular Dev Biol Iowa State University
Kumar, A.S., Park, E., Nedo, A., Alqarni, A., Ren, L., Hoban, K., Modla, S., McDonald, J.H., Kambhamettu, C., Dinesh-Kumar, S.P. and Caplan, J.L. (2018) Stromule extension along microtubules coordinated with actin-mediated anchoring guides perinuclear chloroplast movement during innate immunity. eLife 7:e23625 doi: 10.7554/eLife.23625.
Ma, S., Snyder, M., and Dinesh-Kumar, S.P. (2017) Discovery of novel human gene regulatory modules from gene co-expression and promoter motif analysis. Sci Rep 7(1):5557.
Park, E., Lee, H-Y., Woo, J., Choi, D., and Dinesh-Kumar, S.P. (2017) Spatiotemporal monitoring of Pseudomonas effectors via type III secretion using split fluorescent protein fragments. Plant Cell 29:1571-1584.
Seo, E., Woo, J., Park, E., Bertolani, S., Siegel, J., Choi, D., and Dinesh-Kumar, S.P. (2016) Comparative analyses of ubiquitin-like ATG8 and cysteine protease ATG4 autophagy genes in the plant lineage and cross-kingdom processing of ATG8 by ATG4. Autophagy 12:2054-2068.
Caplan, J., Kumar, AS., Park, E., Padmanabhan, M., Hoban, K., Modla, S., Czymmek, K., and Dinesh-Kumar, SP. (2015). Chloroplast stromules function during innate immunity. Dev Cell 34:45-57. (Cover Article).
Ali, Z., Abul-Faraj, A., Li, L., Ghosh, N., Piatek, M., Mahjoub, A., Aouida, M., Piatek, A., Baltes, N., Voytas, D., Dinesh-Kumar, S.P., Mahfouz, M. (2015) Efficient virus-mediated genome editing in plants using the CRISPR/Cas9 system. Mol Plant S1674-2052(15)00162-8.
Woo J, Park E, and Dinesh-Kumar SP. (2014) Differential processing of Arabidopsis ubiquitin-like Atg8 autophagy proteins by Atg4 cysteine proteases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 111:863-868.
Padmanabhan M, Ma S, Burch-Smith T, Czymmek K, Huijser P, and Dinesh-Kumar SP (2013) Novel Positive Regulatory Role for the SPL6 Transcription Factor in the N TIR-NB-LRR Receptor-Mediated Plant Innate Immunity. PLoS Pathogens 9(3):e1003235.
Ma S, Shah S, Bohnert HJ, Snyder M, Dinesh-Kumar SP. (2013) Incorporating motif analysis into gene co-expression networks reveals novel modular expression pattern and new signaling pathways. PLoS Genetics 9(10): e1003840.
Hayward, AP and Dinesh-Kumar, SP (2011) What can Plant Autophagy do for an Innate Immune Response? Annu Rev Phytopathol. 49:557-576
Zhu X, Caplan JC, Mamillapalli P, Czymmek K, and Dinesh-Kumar SP (2010) Function of endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase in innate immunity mediated programmed cell death. EMBO J 29, 1007-1018.
*Caplan JC, *Zhu X, (contributed equally), Mamillapalli P, Marathe R, Anandalakshmi R, and Dinesh-Kumar SP. (2009) Induced ER-chaperones regulate a receptor-like kinase to mediate anti-viral innate immune response in plants. Cell Host Microbe 6, 457-469.
Popescu SC, Popescu GV, Bachan S, Zhang Z, Gerstein M, Snyder M, and Dinesh-Kumar SP. (2009) MAPK target networks in Arabidopsis thaliana revealed using functional protein microarrays. Genes Dev 23:80-92.
Caplan JC, Mamillapalli P, Burch-Smith TM, Czymmek K, and Dinesh-Kumar SP. (2008) Chloroplastic protein NRIP1 mediates innate immune receptor recognition of a viral effector. Cell 132:449-462.
Patel S, and Dinesh-Kumar SP. (2008) Arabidopsis ATG6 is required to limit the pathogen-associated cell death response. Autophagy 4:20-27.
Burch-Smith TM, Schiff M, Caplan J, Tsao J, Czymmek K, and Dinesh-Kumar SP. (2007) A novel role for the TIR domain in association with pathogen-derived elicitors. PLoS Biol 5:e68:501-514.
Liu Y, Schiff M, Czymmek K, Talloczy Z, Levine B, Dinesh-Kumar SP. (2005) Autophagy regulates programmed cell death during the plant innate immune response. Cell 121:567-577.