Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, College of Biological Sciences
Our lab studies cytoskeletal organelle function, and evolution in the widespread protistan parasite Giardia lamblia. We are also interested in how cytoskeletal variation, function, and evolution is achieved in diverse amoeboid protists. With respect to parasitology, we also are interested in the metabolic interactions that occur between Giardia and the host gut microbiome.
Evolutionary Cell Biology
Grad Group Affiliations
- Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
Specialties / Focus
- Cell Biology
- MIC 105L Bacterial Diversity Laboratory, Winter
- BIS 10 Everyday Biology, Fall
- DawsonLab/231 Briggs Hall http://dawsonlab.org
- Kari Hagen, Tiffany Chase, Chris Nosala, Shane McInally, Hannah Starcevich, Matt Wright, Sarah Guest, Eric Walters
Honors and Awards
- 2016/17 Whitman Center Fellow, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole MA
- American Society for Cell Biology
- American Society for Microbiology
- 1989 BS Biology University of Michigan
- 2000 PhD Molecular and Cell Biology University of California - Berkeley
- McInally, SG, J Kondev, J, Dawson, SC. (2019) Length-dependent disassembly maintains four different flagellar lengths in Giardia. eLife 2019;8:e48694
- McInally SG, Hagen KD, Nosala C, Williams J, Nguyen K, Booker J, Jones K, Dawson SC (2019). Robust and stable transcriptional repression in Giardia using CRISPRi. Mol Biol Cell. 2019 Jan 1;30(1):119-130.
- Barash NR, Maloney JG, Singer SM, Dawson SC. (2017) Giardia alters commensal microbial diversity throughout the murine gut. Infection and Immunity 85(6): e00948-16.
- Barash, NR, Nosala, C, Pham, JK, McInally, SG, Gourguechon, S, McCarthy-Sinclair, B, and SC Dawson (2017). Giardia colonizes and encysts in high-density foci in the murine small intestine. mSphere, 2 (3) e00343-16
- JK Pham, C Nosala, EY Scott, KF Nguyen, KD Hagen, HN Starcevich, and SC Dawson. Transcriptomic profiling of high-density Giardia foci encysting in the murine proximal intestine. (2017) Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology 7(227)..