Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, College of Biological Sciences
Our lab studies cytoskeletal organelle duplication, function, and evolution in the widespread parasite Giardia lamblia and other protists. We also study the metabolic interactions between Giardia and the host gut microbiome.
Evolutionary Cell Biology
Grad Group Affiliations
- Biochemistry, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
Specialties / Focus
- Cell Biology
- MIC 105L Bacterial Diversity Laboratory, Winter
- BIS 10 Everyday Biology, Fall
- DawsonLab/231 Briggs Hall http://dawsonlab.org
- Kari Hagen, Tiffany Chase, Chris Nosala, Shane McInally, Hannah Starcevich, Matt Wright, Sarah Guest, Eric Walters
Honors and Awards
- 2016/17 Whitman Center Fellow, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole MA
- American Society for Cell Biology
- American Society for Microbiology
- 1989 BS Biology University of Michigan
- 2000 PhD Molecular and Cell Biology University of California - Berkeley
- Barash NR, Maloney JG, Singer SM, Dawson SC. (2017) Giardia alters commensal microbial diversity throughout the murine gut. Infection and Immunity 85(6): e00948-16.
- Barash, NR, Nosala, C, Pham, JK, McInally, SG, Gourguechon, S, McCarthy-Sinclair, B, and SC Dawson (2017). Giardia colonizes and encysts in high-density foci in the murine small intestine. mSphere, 2 (3) e00343-16
- JK Pham, C Nosala, EY Scott, KF Nguyen, KD Hagen, HN Starcevich, and SC Dawson. Transcriptomic profiling of high-density Giardia foci encysting in the murine proximal intestine. (2017) Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology 7(227).
- McInally S.G., and Dawson, S.C. (2016) Eight unique basal bodies in the multi-flagellated diplomonad Giardia lamblia. Cilia (5): 21.
- Nosala, C. and Dawson, S.C. (2016) The critical role of the cytoskeleton in the pathogenesis of Giardia. Curr Clin Micro Rpt 2:155-162.