While students are strongly encouraged to visit their advisors regularly, here are some tools for you to be proactive in making sure you are making the grade at UC Davis!
Success Coaching and Learning Strategies (SCLS)
Fall 2023 Success Coaching and Learning Strategies (SCLS) virtual workshops for College of Biological Sciences students are underway.
Here is the schedule of workshops:
- Thursday, October 12, 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM: Time Management and Scheduling. Learn about time management strategies through designing a weekly calendar or making improvements to an existing schedule. By identifying project-level assignments and exams early you will learn how to better manage your workload.
- Thursday, October 26, 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM: : Study Smarter, Not Harder. How do you know what you know? How do you prepare for exams? Let's discuss strategies that can help make study sessions more effective and efficient.
- Thursday, November 2, 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM: : Strategies for Test-taking. How to become a better test taker? How to better manage test-induced anxiety? We will cover techniques for multiple exam formats (multiple choice, short answer, etc.).
If you are interested in attending and would like to receive a link to register, please contact Teresa Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Survival TIPS (To Insure Positive Scores) from REAL students
- Use professor and teaching assistant office hours. Establish a relationship and make sure they know you. Try to visit each of your professors during the first two weeks. This will motivate you to do well and make it easier to ask questions in class and later on in the quarter.
- Update your calendar regularly. Combine all important dates (midterms, other due dates, residence hall activities and fun time) into one calendar or planner. Take it everywhere you go!
- Start your papers early. Even just setting aside some time to think about the paper topic will get the ball rolling. Review your papers with a writing tutor in the Academic Assistance and Tutoring Centers.
- Create a routine and stick to it. This is important for studying and sleeping regularly. A good guide is to allot at least two hours of studying for every hour of class per week. Treat each school day like a workday and stay on-campus instead of heading back to your room.
- Join a study group. This can be a great way to meet people, socialize and learn from each other. You can get different perspectives, patch up holes in your notes, and learn by teaching others.
- Attend all classes, lectures, discussions and review sessions. Not everything you learn comes from textbooks and assigned readings. Professors will expand on the material and add extra tidbits to reward those students who actually attend class. Take good notes.
- Assemble your class materials. Purchase textbooks as soon as possible. Some classes have "readers" which are packets of reading material and are available to buy at different locations in Davis.
- Use your advising and tutoring resources. You paid for them with you tuition and fees, so get your money's worth!