- Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior, College of Biological Sciences
I am a mechanical/biomedical engineer by academic training with an interest in the mechanics of human movement and physical performance. My goal is to develop tools and interventions that facilitate people maintaining health and physical performance capabilities throughout their lifespan. My research objectives are to understand the mechanisms that influence the performance of skeletal muscle and gross human movement, and to develop tools based on this information that can be used to increase human quality of life by increasing physical performance capabilities while minimizing the risk of injury.
- 1983 B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- 1984 CERT, Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Irvine
- 1985 M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- 1990 Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis
- Coolbaugh CL, Raymond Jr SC, Hawkins DA Feasibility of a Dynamic Web Guidance Approach for Personalized Physical Activity Prescription Based on Daily Information From Wearable Technology. JMIR Res Protoc 2015;4(2):e67. URL: http://www.researchprotocols.org/2015/2/e67/ doi:10.2196/resprot.3966
- Symons, Jennifer E., Fyhrie, David P., Hawkins, David A., Upadhyaya, Shrinivasa K., Stover, Susan M., Modeling equine race surface vertical mechanical behaviors in a musculoskeletal modeling environment, Journal of Biomechanics, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2015.01.006
- Hawkins, D Biomechanics, Training & Injury Prevention: Considerations for the Taekwondo Youth Athlete. Journal of the International Association of Taekwondo Research 1(1):1-8, 2014.
- Neugebauer JM, Collins KH, Hawkins DA Ground Reaction Force Estimates from ActiGraph GT3X+ Hip Accelerations. PLoS ONE 9(6): e99023. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0099023, 2014
- Coolbaugh, C.L. and Hawkins, D. Standardizing Accelerometer-Based Activity Monitor Calibration and Output Reporting. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. Aug;30(4):594-7, 2014. doi: 10.1123/jab.2013-0240. Epub 2014 Jun 30.